The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+6
fedoragent
dyna1
GP49
Sal
Corona
Bob Latino
10 posters

The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo Empty The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Many know about the older Dynaco PAS-2 and PAS-3 preamps and the more modern mid '90's Dynaco PAS-4 built by Panor. There was, however, a transitional model built in the early '90's also by Panor > the PAS-3 Series II. The circuits of all three preamps were different. The tube line-up for each preamp was ...

PAS-2 and PAS-3 > four 12AX7 tubes
    PAS-3 Series II > six 12AX7 tubes
    PAS-4 > two 12AX7 (phono section) and four 6DJ8 (6922) (line section) tubes

PAS-3 Series II composite photo below

Bob

The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo Pas3mkII
    Corona

The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo Empty Re: The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo

Post by Corona Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 am

Interesting...
    I wonder if all 6 12ax7's are really necessary or if they just added extra tubes for the look like some chinese amps on ebay.
    Sal
    Sal

The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo Empty Re: The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo

Post by Sal Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:54 am

Probably 4 12AX7's for the phono stage and 2 for the line stage.

Sal
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Or...and this would have been a worthwhile addition if done properly...a cathode follower for both channels of the phono stage and the linestage, to make the circuitry almost unaffected by the input impedance of whatever is connected to the preamp.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Below is the PAS-3 Series II schematic less the power supply. You can judge for yourself how the three 12AX7's per channel were worked into the circuit.

Bob

The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo PAS-3series2
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Cathode followers, they are!
    dyna1

Post by dyna1 Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi, Bob, thank-you for the link, but I believe I cannot see the values of the 3 caps. Would you happen to know someone that may have the complete schematics.

Regards Sandro
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Email sent ... That is the only schematic that I have and it does not show the power supply caps. Also - In the manual - there is no schematic. I do not know the value of those three caps.

Bob
    dyna1

Post by dyna1 Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Thank-you for your time, if ever happen to find out I would love to have these values. Are able to post a request on your site. Thank-you again for all your help and time.

Best Regards
    Sandro
    fedoragent

Post by fedoragent Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks Bob, that was great to see. How long were they sold? Were they a limited production?

Thanks,

Jon
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

The little known Dynaco PAS-3 Series II - photo Empty PAS Series II

Post by DynakitParts Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi,
    There were two versions offered...One with the Chrome faceplate & knobs (like the photo above)
    and the other with a Black faceplate & knobs. Both were designed & sold through Sound Values in Ohio...Jon & Joy Petterson I believe were the owners. I suspect that not many of these units were produced...I would guess a few hundred at best.

Some time later Panor Corp. began making their own version of this PAS. I actually have a few of the "Sound Values" PAS Series II NOS power transformers on the shelf.....PC mounted style.

Kevin

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Below is the PAS-3 Series II schematic less the power supply. You can judge for yourself how the three 12AX7's per channel were worked into the circuit.

Oh my goodness, both stereo channels in each tube envelope!
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Nobody ever said Panor was the brightest bulb in the box. They bought "Dynaco" for the name, but did not have the engineering prowess to match the reputation.
    StereoGaryo
    StereoGaryo

Post by StereoGaryo Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:42 pm

The PAS-4 has four tubes in the phono section: Two 12AX7's and a pair of 6922's. The line stage has the remaining pair of 6922's.
    StereoGaryo
    StereoGaryo

Post by StereoGaryo Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 pm

GP49 wrote:Nobody ever said Panor was the brightest bulb in the box.  They bought "Dynaco" for the name, but did not have the engineering prowess to match the reputation.

The PAS-4 was the exception regarding a well engineered, Panor unit. It was designed by John Nunes of MFA fame.
    suzerain

Post by suzerain Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:52 am

dyna1 wrote:Hi, Bob, thank-you for the link, but I believe I cannot see the values of the 3 caps. Would you happen to know someone that may have the complete schematics.

Regards Sandro

Hey Dyna 1,
    I measured my 3 silver non labeled power supply caps on my restored knight cap tester.
    The fourth is labeled on the can wrapper.
    I too wanted to recap the power supply so I needed to know the capacitance.
    Each cap measured very close to 150uF.
    I ordered and installed 3 of those at 450Vdc with 10mm lead spacing and they slid right into position.
    The fourth had 8mm lead spacing but pc board had extra hole for 10mm lead spaced cap.
    Very good selection at Mouser, I picked Cornell Dublier.
    Pre amp running just fine and sounds even better, if that is really possible.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:27 am