The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Dyna PAS control pot question

WLT
    WLT

Dyna PAS control pot question Empty Dyna PAS control pot question

Post by WLT Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Yesterday I made a trade for some equipment. I dropped off four turntables and came home with two Dyna preamps as follows. Both have brown covers and look like they started life as PASs. One is labeled Audio Dimensions and is heavily modified. Perf boards with all discrete component connections and a different power transformer. That one is on hold till a later date. Both were sold to me as not working. OK by me as they will make good projects.

The other one is a very basic, stock PAS 3 except for a different quad cap and volume control. Nice original actually. I have taken nothing apart other than the top and bottom covers to look. I pulled the rectifier and the power transformer turns on with good AC voltage to the rectifier socket and good DC voltage for the heaters. It looks like this will work out pretty well.

The question I have for the forum is one of treble and bass controls. Three of the four controls are bound up tight as a drum. All other controls are free. No movement at all to the three controls. I do not want to ruin them as I would like to get this fully functional in stock trim before decisions are made about what to do with the preamp.

What suggestions do you have for freeing them up? I am in no rush so letting them soak or ??? is fine for a while.

Thanks and I always enjoy reading the many varied responses from this group.
    peterh
    peterh

Dyna PAS control pot question Empty Re: Dyna PAS control pot question

Post by peterh Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm

WLT wrote:Yesterday I made a trade for some equipment. I dropped off four turntables and came home with two Dyna preamps as follows. Both have brown covers and look like they started life as PASs. One is labeled Audio Dimensions and is heavily modified. Perf boards with all discrete component connections and a different power transformer. That one is on hold till a later date. Both were sold to me as not working. OK by me as they will make good projects.

The other one is a very basic, stock PAS 3 except for a different quad cap and volume control. Nice original actually. I have taken nothing apart other than the top and bottom covers to look. I pulled the rectifier and the power transformer turns on with good AC voltage to the rectifier socket and good DC voltage for the heaters. It looks like this will work out pretty well.

The question I have for the forum is one of treble and bass controls. Three of the four controls are bound up tight as a drum. All other controls are free. No movement at all to the three controls. I do not want to ruin them as I would like to get this fully functional in stock trim before decisions are made about what to do with the preamp.

What suggestions do you have for freeing them up? I am in no rush so letting them soak or ??? is fine for a while.

Thanks and I always enjoy reading the many varied responses from this group.
    Spray some 5.56 from the outside on the shafts. Let be, repeat after 24h, feel
    the buttons gently for movements. Repeat until all moves freely.
    Other solvents is ok, look for "loosen screws, thin lubricant etc" I hope other
    forum members have better knowledge of products in your area ( US??) that
    can solve old fat.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:09 pm

WLT wrote:

https://pilotshq.com/kano-laboratories-kroil-penetrating-oil-gallon-kroil-1gal-p-14627.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sDlBRC9ARIsAD-pDFq-1JkLIcgCXiS2imlfqODx-oy-Xn6XrQG9udmvd_CYlcTlFdYnkT8aAnBgEALw_wcB

Never let me down. Ever.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Thank you - both Peters.

I have never tried the Kano and it sounds like it is a great product. I just ordered some and will post back result when the time comes. I have used 5:56 before but I think I will try something new and see how it goes.

Thanks again - both of you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:16 pm