The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

High frequency buzz in left channel ST-70

Sfguitarworks
    Sfguitarworks

High frequency buzz in left channel ST-70 Empty High frequency buzz in left channel ST-70

Post by Sfguitarworks Mon May 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Hello,

I rebuilt my ST-70 about 4 months ago, all new caps, resistors, rectifier, etc... It has been great, but has recently developed a high frequency buzz in the left channel. I have unplugged my preamp from the input and it still is there. I know it could be many things, but do you guys have any thoughts on an obvious place to start?

Thanks!

Geoff
    mijohn

High frequency buzz in left channel ST-70 Empty Re: High frequency buzz in left channel ST-70

Post by mijohn Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm

For a start I suggest swapping the tubes over from one channel to the other to see if the buzz travels with them. Then check all your solder connections for dry or loose joints, particularly on the tube pins.

High frequency buzz in left channel ST-70 Empty Re: High frequency buzz in left channel ST-70

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2019 12:16 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sfguitarworks
    Sfguitarworks

Post by Sfguitarworks Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Will do. Thanks!
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am

If switching tubes did not reveal the problem, keep in mind that OEM 70s quite often suffered from internal oscillation issues. Causes were several, but primarily from mis-routed wiring. Obtain a copy of the original assembly manual and refer to the pictoral diagram inside. If the wiring inside your amp does not closely resemble what is in the picture, try rerouting what you can and see if that helps.

If neither of these expedients work then:
    a) Under very good light and with a magnifier, examine the circuit board for cracked or damaged traces. If you find anything, bridge it with a strand of copper wire in addition to the solder. Also check for bad connection, quite common on the vintage phenolic boards.

b) As a last resort, and with the unit unplugged and tubes pulled, check every connection to-ground and across each component, carefully comparing Channel A to Channel B. Where you find a discrepancy will be the place to start your diagnosis. DO complete the process even if you find something obviously bad. The issue is the possibility of a cascade problem....

Best of luck with it!
    Sfguitarworks
    Sfguitarworks

Post by Sfguitarworks Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 am

I moved the tubes from left to right, one at a time, rebiased, and it seems fine. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu May 16, 2019 7:37 am

Do you have access to a scope? I would be curious if there were any ultrasonic artifacts remaining.

Post by Guest Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

PeterCapo wrote:Curious that it went away completely.  Would have at least expected it to switch channels...  intermittent solder or foil trace?
     ...dirty connection cleaned by friction, different level of tube drift to component drift...

Many mysteries, and why I suggest a scope to make sure that the issue has not simply moved out of the immediately audible range.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm