The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

FM3 Tuner - FM range limit

tonyfour

FM3 Tuner -  FM range limit Empty FM3 Tuner - FM range limit

Post by tonyfour Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 am

Hello. From Italy (sorry for my english). The theoric FM range on the dial of my Dynatuner is 88-108 MHZ. But if I turn the dial to the upper limit, I can't go beyond 106.9. In others words I cant' tune any radio station in the range 106.9-108, the knob stops at 106.9
    Any solution ? The C8 capacitor, paralled to the variable capacitor is the tuning point to fix the problem?
    Any help appreciated. Thanks  in advance.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

FM3 Tuner -  FM range limit Empty Re: FM3 Tuner - FM range limit

Post by Peter W. Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 am

That is an alignment issue - if you obtain the OEM manual and go through the self-alignment process, you should solve that problem.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1228131/Dynaco-Fm-3.html

Be patient. Be careful. Take your time.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 am

A bit more on aligning the FM-3. Yes, it is a user-friendly tuner that may be aligned without instruments - AS LONG AS - the main tuning can has not been diddled. That is/was factory-aligned and is what permits the remaining adjustments.

Note that the instructions want the user to find a mono station - entirely common in 1963, not so much today. The work-around is a stereo station broadcasting voice, hoping that it is balanced.

If one is able to listen to the output via headphones, adjusting level and stereo is a bit easier.

And, if one happens to be able to broadcast FM and FM-Stereo via a small transmitter, alignment becomes much more precise. I keep a Ramsey FM100B, sadly no longer in production, that allows me to broadcast mono, stereo, left-only & right-only.

Otherwise, it is fairly straightforward to the patient user.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:22 am