The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

ST70 chassis hum

breading

ST70 chassis hum Empty ST70 chassis hum

Post by breading Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:44 am

My ST70 has just recently developed a mechanical chassis hum (not from the speakers, but from the chassis itself).  I have tightened all transformer screws in addition to other socket screws, etc. to no avail.  I have swapped tubes with no improvement.  The hum appears to be 60 cycle in nature.

Interestingly, when I pick the amp up and hold it a few inches off the cabinet shelf the hum disappears.

The hum is very noticeable when the unit is muted, but masked when operating the system.  

Is there a solution?   Isolation pads, etc.?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bruce
    mijohn

ST70 chassis hum Empty Re: ST70 chassis hum

Post by mijohn Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 am

It'll be mechanical hum from the power transformer being transmitted through the chassis.
    See Bob Latino's answer to this question in this link:

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t3524-mechanical-hum-power-transformer
    breading

Post by breading Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:45 pm

mijohn wrote:It'll be mechanical hum from the power transformer being transmitted through the chassis.
    See Bob Latino's answer to this question in this link:

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t3524-mechanical-hum-power-transformer

The power transformer, which I purchased from Dynakitparts, has the isolation washers so that is not the source of the problem. Though I thank you for the suggestion.

Bruce

Post by Guest Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 am

"Interestingly, when I pick the amp up and hold it a few inches off the cabinet shelf the hum disappears."

Breading, you could try isolating your amp from the cabinet with the sort of thing in this link, others may have recommendations of similar products.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=66
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:53 am

Breading,
    I'm going to take a SWAG here, that your rubber mounting washers have shrunk a bit.  And when you're picking the amp up you're flexing it -- not much flex to one of Bob L's 10-gauge chassis, but it will flex, no matter minutely.
    One thing I would suggest is just retorquing the transformer's hold-down hardware. Tighter isn't always better; sometimes backing off turns the trick, let those isolation washers puff out a bit. I would loosen all four bolts and (assuming you're working from the top and not the bottom of the top deck), turn the bugger on and torque the bolts down in a pattern until the hum quits and when it does quit, you're noise-free. Don't tighten them any further; that big tranny ain't going anywhere.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm

What if you placed each leg of the amp on a small rag to stop the vibration from being amplified on the table and then with a mechanic's stethoscope (carefully!!!) poke around to locate the noise. But yeah, you don't want 500V going through your head so be careful.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:27 pm