The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Custom Chassis options for ST70/120

mcgyver74

Custom Chassis options for ST70/120 Empty Custom Chassis options for ST70/120

Post by mcgyver74 Thu May 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Now that my amp is working great, it's time to think about improvements (I'm a tinkerer at heart).

One thing I have seen many do is put the amp in a gorgeous wood/metal case, and over on diytube.com there used to be a guy selling some rather attractive chassis's that would accept Dynaco layouts.. Sadly that forum is winding down and not accepting new members so I cannot PM the guy to see if he is doing it anymore Sad

Does anyone know where I can get some nice custom chassis's, I see options on Ebay but most of those are cheap cases coming from overseas.....

THanks in advance!
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Custom Chassis options for ST70/120 Empty Re: Custom Chassis options for ST70/120

Post by vtshopdog Thu May 04, 2017 3:35 pm

For metal work, Front Panel Express has an easy to use CAD drawing app you can download to design your own layout panels.  It has a real time price quote and then you send file for them to mill out your design.  Nice if you need rectangular holes or want some engraving.

https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

You can also get pretty far with a drill press, some step bits, nibbler tool, file and a large dose of patience if you are inclined to go full DIY.

(It's going to be a lot of work to "un-build" then transfer to the new case ...)
    mcgyver74

Custom Chassis options for ST70/120 Empty Re: Custom Chassis options for ST70/120

Post by mcgyver74 Fri May 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Yeah, sadly I'm not that handy Sad

Was hoping there was one I could buy and then do the work to cut the guts over myself Sad

There was a guy on diytube.com who was selling GEORGOUS stuff but sadly you cannot get on there anymore Sad
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Fri May 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Awhile ago I was contemplating getting custom made wood cabinets for my McIntosh amp and preamp. The web site I found also said he could make cabinets for virtually any audio component. What he made did not require anything more than sliding the existing chassis into the cabinet from the front. I also purchased a Technics SL1200MkIi turntable that also included a wooden cabinet that the turntable dropped into. No cutting or bolting in...it just dropped right in. Perhaps you may consider something like that rather that having someone make you a wood frame and chassis top plate?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:57 pm