The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
rjpjnk
solderblob
mikaud
7 posters

Volume Pot for VTA ST70?

mikaud

Volume Pot for VTA ST70? Empty Volume Pot for VTA ST70?

Post by mikaud Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi
    I would like to add a 100K stepped attenuator to the mono/stereo chasis opening on a VTA ST70. I know there is a "kit" sold by VTA but the pot looks to be a 5 dollar hong kong special.

Is there something of better quality that would fit in that slot?
    solderblob
    solderblob

Volume Pot for VTA ST70? Empty Re: Volume Pot for VTA ST70?

Post by solderblob Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:15 pm

mikaud wrote:Hi
    I would like to add a 100K stepped attenuator to the mono/stereo chasis opening on a VTA ST70. I know there is a "kit" sold by VTA but the pot looks to be a 5 dollar hong kong special.

Is there something of better quality that would fit in that slot?

Not sure, but the stepped attenuator Bob has for the ST70 is the same as Roy provided me with my SP12 kit -- a DACT type with surface mount resistors.  I was skeptical about it, but I believe it sounds as good as my $200 Goldpoint attenuator.  Only drawback might be that it has only 21 steps.  Other than that, it's a high quality attenuator.

Volume Pot for VTA ST70? <a href=Volume Pot for VTA ST70? Attenu10" />

dave
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 pm

Most of the cheap ones from China are also DACT type with surface mount resistors too. I bought one and it works fine. The only thing that might go wrong is if the contacts become noisy, but mine was perfect.

Here is an example of a listing with internal pics
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DACT-Type-SMD-21-Stepped-Attenuator-Volume-Control-Potentiometer-10-20-100-250K/113854232577?hash=item1a823db801Ⓜm3mxy-rEha5-mmrgFOAxfxA
    Hops

Post by Hops Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:12 pm

I bought the VTA one for my newish VTA. ST-120. Works perfectly, dead silent. Does not look visually impressive, but works well.
    Hops

Post by Hops Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm

I am thinking of buying a nicer, more substantial, knob to put on my stepped attenuator. Won't work or sound any different, but will look better, and I will feel better. The placebo effect may even make it sound better to me. I am thinking of getting rotary decal that goes up to eleven also - should get me some more volume.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:59 pm

yes, it certainly LOOKS like a $5 pot, but it is very well made and it's standard equipment in all my preamps and amplifiers now,
    is actually better quality than many $50 pots and stepped attenuators
    mresseguie

Post by mresseguie Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi.

Earlier this Spring, I bought an ST-70 from an acquaintance. I think I'd like to add the volume pot to mine. How do I order one, and what tools will I need to install it?

Thank you!

Michael
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 am

mresseguie wrote:Hi.

Earlier this Spring, I bought an ST-70 from an acquaintance. I think I'd like to add the volume pot to mine. How do I order one, and what tools will I need to install it?

Thank you!

Michael

You can get the VTA stepped attenuator for the VTA ST-70 or the original Dynaco ST-70 at the link below. Just scroll down the page a little ..

VTA tube amp kits web page

You need a soldering pencil, some solder, wire stripper/cutter, pliers and a 5/64ths hex wrench to tighten the set screw on the aluminum knob provided with the attenuator. You are given enough wire with the attenuator to complete the installation. A step by step instruction sheet is included with each attenuator kit also.

Bob
    mresseguie

Post by mresseguie Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Bob,

Thank you!

Michael

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 am