The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
corndog71
DavidR
6 posters

Advice for tube selection

DavidR
    DavidR

Advice for tube selection Empty Advice for tube selection

Post by DavidR Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:54 pm

I hope its OK to ask about a non VTA question. If not I'll understand if a moderator wants to delete it.

I have a CD player with a pair of 12AX7 tubes in the output stage. Currently it has Psvane tubes that came with it. It's getting close to the time where I will need to replace them. A new pair of Psvane 12AX7 are approx $82. I found some NOS (military) Brimar tubes that are listed as "The Holy Grail". A pair of matched tubes are twice as much as the Psvane.

Do any of you have experience (and opinion) with the Psvane or, more importantly, the Brimar (made in England)?

I also have two pairs of NOS G.E. tubes in the drawer that may be from like the 60's that also came with the unit.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Advice for tube selection Empty Re: Advice for tube selection

Post by corndog71 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:39 pm

Try the GE tubes. Otherwise there are lots of alternate tubes and vendors to check out.

I’ve been buying from

http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm

and

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/tubes.html

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:35 am

DavidR wrote:I hope its OK to ask about a non VTA question. If not I'll understand if a moderator wants to delete it.

I have a CD player with a pair of 12AX7 tubes in the output stage. Currently it has Psvane tubes that came with it. It's getting close to the time where I will need to replace them. A new pair of Psvane 12AX7 are approx $82. I found some NOS (military) Brimar tubes that are listed as "The Holy Grail". A pair of matched tubes are twice as much as the Psvane.

Do any of you have experience (and opinion) with the Psvane or, more importantly, the Brimar (made in England)?

I also have two pairs of NOS G.E. tubes in the drawer that may be from like the 60's that also came with the unit.
    Just a question : Why do you think it's time to replace the tubes ?
    DavidR
    DavidR

Post by DavidR Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:54 am

peterh wrote: Just a question : Why do you think it's time to replace the tubes ?

It's been many hours of playing. I do have a tube tester and will test them at some point.
    DavidR
    DavidR

Post by DavidR Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:00 am

corndog71 wrote:Try the GE tubes.  Otherwise there are lots of alternate tubes and vendors to check out.  

I’ve been buying from

and

I suppose I should try the G.E. tubes and might find time to swap them this weekend.

I'm happy with the 2 vendors I buy from. Had a 'first and last issue' with one of those two.

Just too curious about the Brimar tubes.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:23 pm

DavidR wrote:
    peterh wrote: Just a question : Why do you think it's time to replace the tubes ?

It's been many hours of playing. I do have a tube tester and will test them at some point.
    How many ? ECC83 should be good for at least 5000h
    Does they sound bad ? Is channel balance changed ? Or is it a "feeling" and wish ?
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:52 pm

DavidR wrote:
    corndog71 wrote:Try the GE tubes.  Otherwise there are lots of alternate tubes and vendors to check out.  

I’ve been buying from

and

I suppose I should try the G.E. tubes and might find time to swap them this weekend.

I'm happy with the 2 vendors I buy from. Had a 'first and last issue' with one of those two.

Just too curious about the Brimar tubes.

Every tube is going to sound a little bit different and some you may like more than others. I wouldn't pay high prices for a specific brand unless you know it's a sound you especially like. I would try the GE tubes since you already have them for comparison. See if you can hear any difference compared to your current tubes.
    DavidR
    DavidR

Post by DavidR Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:34 pm

peterh wrote:
    DavidR wrote:

How many ?   ECC83 should be good for at least 5000h
    Does they sound bad ? Is channel balance changed ? Or is it a "feeling" and wish ?

Well, I don't keep track and my Canadian buddy I bought it from had put in the Psvane and I know he listened to music a lot.
    I also have an Emotiva ERC-3 with both balanced and RCA cables. I have the RCA going to a Yaqin tube buffer that I upgraded the caps to Mundorf.
    The CD players are very close in sound. I would have to give the Grant Fidelity the nod in the bass. The ERC-3 has nice deep bass too; but the Grant is just a bit better. The overall sound is warmer due to the built-in tube buffer with Psvane 12AX7-T tubes. To my ears its just sounds better. The ERC-3 is a tad bit nicer in the highs with more clarity and definition; plus the noise floor is quieter. Mids are so very close, perhaps the ERC-3 because its quieter. Quite comparable in SQ but the ERC-3 is overall a smoother sounding unit. But what the vacuum tube CDP and tube buffer offer is a way to play those poor CD recordings - the overly compressed ones. They take the edge off.

I was feeling that maybe the mids and treble had been better on the Vacuum tube CDP. Maybe I just want to try something different - the allure of a new tube that I don't have. However, I think it would be a good idea to try the G.E. tubes first.
    ELBill34

Post by ELBill34 Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:10 pm

I have a California Audio Alpha DAC that I bought used some years ago. It came with the stock tubes which I believe might have been Sovtek? Also included was a pair of Mullard CV4004 tubes. The stock tubes sounded OK but somewhat dry. The Mullards added a level of warmth that made the unit much more engaging and more natural sounding, closer to analog. Very good soundstage, Solid bass and nice top extension without being bright as well. It sounded so much better that I also have a Cal Audio Delta DAC. I found a good used Mullard 12AX7 in my stash to try in there. I found that to make the Delta sound more natural as well however I like the Alpha DAC much better.

In addition when I tried some tube rolling in my VTL TL5.5 I had tried some vintage Bugle Boy and Telefunkin but purchased a pair of VC4004 for the line stage and was happiest with them in that location. I also tried a pair in the MM phono stage but found that it got too soupy there and ultimately settled on a pair of NOS Telefunkins for the phono stage.

At the time the CV4004s could be found for about $110 ea. Probably much more scarce now and much higher. And of course I can't say that they will respond the same in your DAC. However those old Mullards are generally known for warm full midrange in most cases. If you can find a pair and don't have to take a 2nd mortgage out on the house to get them I think they are worth a listen.

As you have the GEs you should give them a try as well. I've not found the ones I have to be anything spectacular, Nothing really wrong but not overly engaging. Basically pretty neutral (a little more sparkle than the Russian ones) however I only have later examples, probably mid to late 70s production. As I understand it versions from the 50s through the early to mid 60s are more desirable.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:21 pm

ELBill34 wrote:I have a California Audio Alpha DAC that I bought used some years ago. It came with the stock tubes which I believe might have been Sovtek? Also included was a pair of Mullard CV4004 tubes.  The stock tubes sounded OK but somewhat dry.  The Mullards added a level of warmth that made the unit much more engaging and more natural sounding, closer to analog. Very good soundstage, Solid bass and nice top extension without being bright as well.  It sounded so much better that I also have a Cal Audio Delta DAC.  I found a good used Mullard 12AX7 in my stash to try in there. I found that to make the Delta sound more natural as well however I like the Alpha DAC much better.

In addition when I tried some tube rolling in my VTL TL5.5 I had tried some vintage Bugle Boy and Telefunkin but purchased a pair of VC4004 for the line stage and was happiest with them in that location. I also tried a pair in the MM phono stage but found that it got too soupy there and ultimately settled on a pair of NOS Telefunkins for the phono stage.

At the time the CV4004s could be found for about $110 ea. Probably much more scarce now and much higher. And of course I can't say that they will respond the same in your DAC. However those old Mullards are generally known for warm full midrange in most cases. If you can find a pair and don't have to take a 2nd mortgage out on the house to get them I think they are worth a listen.  

As you have the GEs you should give them a try as well. I've not found the ones I have to be anything spectacular, Nothing really wrong but not overly engaging. Basically pretty neutral (a little more sparkle than the Russian ones)  however I only have later examples, probably mid to late 70s production.  As I understand it versions from the 50s through the early to mid 60s are more desirable.

CV4004 is a tighter controlled ECC83 / 12AX7 / 7025
    To save some money you could try one of the above. Framegrid tubes
    are (by some) regarded as cream-de-la-cream, JJ just released a
    framegrid 12ax7 called E83CC.
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:48 pm

DavidR wrote:I hope its OK to ask about a non VTA question. If not I'll understand if a moderator wants to delete it.

It seems there may be new production Brimars out there, I don't know anything of their quality, so I'd probably opt for NOS Brimars. The best Brimar 12AX7's are the ones made in the Mullard, Blackburn factory, they are marked with the "B" in their etched date codes so it's easy to spot.

And of course any Mullard, Blackburn 12AX7, 12XX7, CV4004, M8137, 7025, long or short plate will be the best thing you've ever heard. Look for the "B"!!!

Advice for tube selection 0nfpwZL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am