The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

78 RPM Record Phono Pre-Amp EQ Selection Advice Wanted

jwb474

78 RPM Record Phono Pre-Amp EQ Selection Advice Wanted Empty 78 RPM Record Phono Pre-Amp EQ Selection Advice Wanted

Post by jwb474 Thu May 19, 2022 5:22 am

I am in the initial planning on doing a 78rpm tube based phono pre-amp using a unused Pam-1 as the building block.
    In researching the EQ requirements and downloading 30+ articles I found that there was absolutely no consistent standards and the standard that a record company used was
    very loosely adhered too. Basically when you bought a 78 the EQ you got was like a box of chocolates - you never new what you were gonna get Smile

I want to keeps things relative simple so I don't intend to accommodate Vertical cut records as I don't have any or intend to buy any.
    I would like to keep the Turnover and Rolloff selection to 6 ea. since I have the switches in my parts bucket. I don't need to spend any money except to getting a
    front panel made and buying pwbs. The Heathkit WA-P2 gets the number down to 4 ea and the article from Elliot Sound Products makes a very good case for using
    4 turnovers and 5 rolloffs.

So with all that just said, anyone hear have any experience in playing 78's and what would be your advice on a direction I should take.
    TN Allen

78 RPM Record Phono Pre-Amp EQ Selection Advice Wanted Empty Re: 78 RPM Record Phono Pre-Amp EQ Selection Advice Wanted

Post by TN Allen Fri May 20, 2022 9:33 am

Have you looked on the Vinylengine website?
    jwb474

78 RPM Record Phono Pre-Amp EQ Selection Advice Wanted Empty Re: 78 RPM Record Phono Pre-Amp EQ Selection Advice Wanted

Post by jwb474 Sun May 22, 2022 4:44 am

TN Allen wrote:Have you looked on the Vinylengine website?

Thanks for the sujestion, I will see what info they may have.
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Sun May 22, 2022 5:49 pm

You are welcome. I looked up one of the Vinylengine members who had done an interesting preamp. His name is Coffee Phil. I found a few posts and a schematic. Although you indicated you plan to modify an existing Dynaco preamp, perhaps his schematic will provide some useful ideas.

I am interested in what you decide to do as I would like to have a preamp that accommodates the variety of 78 equalization challenges.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=40620

You may find more from Coffee Phil, I saw his earlier posts on his preamp several years ago. Perhaps he would respond to questions you have.

I read that you are not interested in Edison discs. Just in case you change your mind this is worth hearing/watching. I've changed to small(LP) stylus as a result, and the difference in sound is remarkable. It makes sense though as the Edison disc grooves are closer in dimension to LPs than to 78s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9POAWT1uf54
    jwb474

Post by jwb474 Tue May 24, 2022 12:49 am

Thanks for the links, checking them out.
    ltusler

Post by ltusler Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 pm

Have a look at this, there are other ones out there as well.

jwb474

Post by jwb474 Thu May 26, 2022 1:33 am

ltusler wrote:Have a look at this, there are other ones out there as well.

Thanks for the link, checking it out
    jwb474

Post by jwb474 Thu May 26, 2022 1:40 am

TN Allen wrote:You are welcome. I looked up one of the Vinylengine members who had done an interesting preamp. His name is Coffee Phil. I found a few posts and a schematic. Although you indicated you plan to modify an existing Dynaco preamp, perhaps his schematic will provide some useful ideas.

I am interested in what you decide to do as I would like to have a preamp that accommodates the variety of 78 equalization challenges.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=40620

You may find more from Coffee Phil, I saw his earlier posts on his preamp several years ago. Perhaps he would respond to questions you have.

I read that you are not interested in Edison discs. Just in case you change your mind this is worth hearing/watching. I've changed to small(LP) stylus as a result,  and the difference in sound is remarkable. It makes sense though as the Edison disc grooves are closer in dimension to LPs than to 78s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9POAWT1uf54  

In checking this out another link was referenced, http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/monogram.pdf ,  for a Phono Pre-Amp. This article provided everything you would need to build the unit: Schematics, PWB layout and Chassis layout, Parts list and Silkscreen layouts. He gets it down to 6 turnovers and 5 rolloffs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm