The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
MechEngVic
islanddave
6 posters

Did I blow my right output transformer?

islanddave

Did I blow my right output transformer? Empty Did I blow my right output transformer?

Post by islanddave Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello All,

After many years of service my self built vta st 70 needs service due to my bungling.....I patched a cd player into my main out on my preamp and
    well say little more. I have a greatly reduced volume on my right channel....that does not follow my speakers.

My  speakers are 4 ohms......so if I switch to 8 ohm speakers and switch the output transformers to 8 ohm will it work in 8ohm mode or not at all?

I hope im clearer than mud?

Last edited by islanddave on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    islanddave

Did I blow my right output transformer? Empty Re: Did I blow my right output transformer?

Post by islanddave Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:55 pm

12. Problem - Unequal volume on the two channels of a Dynaco stereo tube amp
      Areas to check - weak tube(s), bad cathode resistor, bad resistor in the negative feedback line, bad output transformer

This from forum here .....would this be a good place to start?
    islanddave

Did I blow my right output transformer? Empty Re: Did I blow my right output transformer?

Post by islanddave Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:24 pm

Gotta find that manual......its here some where...
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 am

First thing, switch your tubes around to see if the problem follows the tube. If it does, get a new tube, If it stays in the same channel, start by testing the voltages of the resistors in that channel.
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Dave, low volume on one channel can be a defective rect tube. You may want to check that. Dale
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:59 pm

rectifier tube will affect voltage on both channels equally.
    Swap tubes from left to right channels and see if the problem follows.
    If not, it's something else, but both channels are identical, so find any differences.
    pichacker
    pichacker

Post by pichacker Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 am

A while back another post referred to unequal volumes and the voltages between channels were very similar. Tube swapping made little difference.

For that poster their issue was in the CCS circuit.

Steve.
    islanddave

Post by islanddave Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:15 pm

pichacker wrote:A while back another post referred to unequal volumes and the voltages between channels were very similar. Tube swapping made little difference.

For that poster their issue was in the CCS circuit.

Steve.

So sorry for the late replies.......been busy with work. What is a CCS circuit?

Thanks

David
    Mr C
    Mr C

Post by Mr C Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:29 pm

That's the constant current source, The LM334 on the driver board.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 am