The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Dynaco PAS-3 volume notch

ViperZ
    ViperZ

Dynaco PAS-3 volume notch  Empty Dynaco PAS-3 volume notch

Post by ViperZ Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:54 pm

I have read several threads about volume notch at around 12:30-1 o'clock on volume dial of PAS-3. I hate it on mine - there is a severe jump in volume at 12:30. My original volume control was uneven, so I replaced it with 4-pin Alps 250Kx2 volume pot, so it still had Loudness - it is super even now. Then I disconnected loudness switch today, as per Curcio instructions, and reconnected 4th pins to bottom/ground pins through resistors. I still have this notch...

So is the only way to get rid of it is to replace my 4-pin Alps with 3-pin pot? Thank you.
    peterh
    peterh

Dynaco PAS-3 volume notch  Empty Re: Dynaco PAS-3 volume notch

Post by peterh Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:14 am

ViperZ wrote:I have read several threads about volume notch at around 12:30-1 o'clock on volume dial of PAS-3. I hate it on mine - there is a severe jump in volume at 12:30. My original volume control was uneven, so I replaced it with 4-pin Alps 250Kx2 volume pot, so it still had Loudness - it is super even now. Then I disconnected loudness switch today, as per Curcio instructions, and reconnected 4th pins to bottom/ground pins through resistors. I still have this notch...

So is the only way to get rid of it is to replace my 4-pin Alps with 3-pin pot? Thank you.
    Why not just disconnect the loudness taps on the pot ??

Avoiding the "advice's" from Curcio might be wise ...

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:28 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ViperZ
    ViperZ

Post by ViperZ Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Thank you both. I lifted those 4.7K resistors essentially leaving Loudness taps floating, and the volume control works perfectly now.

Now onto figuring out phono wiring in this PAS-3, since it starts humming at like 10 o'clock on the volume.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:34 pm