The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
yel17
Midwestside
6 posters

What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70?

Midwestside
    Midwestside

What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70? Empty What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70?

Post by Midwestside Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:51 am

Wanting to try something new. looking for recommendations of new production. Cant really afford NOS at the moment.
    Running new production svetlana EL 34 at the moment. They have been the only power tubes ive ran since ive built the 70, not including the stock ones.
    Wanting to go in the direction of tubey, warm, liquid sound. Prefer the sound of triode mode.
    yel17

What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70? Empty Re: What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70?

Post by yel17 Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 am

Remove your present rectifier and Install a 5U4GB rectifier and re-bias.
    peterh
    peterh

What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70? Empty Re: What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70?

Post by peterh Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:52 am

Midwestside wrote:Wanting to try something new. looking for recommendations of new production. Cant really afford NOS at the moment.
    Running new production svetlana EL 34 at the moment. They have been the only power tubes ive ran since ive built the 70, not including the stock ones.
    Wanting to go in the direction of tubey, warm, liquid sound. Prefer the sound of triode mode.
    Whatever you get, make sure they are matched. A matched quad is better
    as all tubes may be moved around.

I use JJ EL34 with good experience. Eurotubes.com does a proper matching.
    Midwestside
    Midwestside

Post by Midwestside Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:26 pm

yel17 wrote:Remove your present rectifier and Install a 5U4GB rectifier and re-bias.

What characteristics change should I expect from this?
    yel17

Post by yel17 Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:45 pm

That warm, tubey sound. It might also help to go with JJ fat boys 6CA7’s but make sure you buy them from a reputable seller and be sure they have been burned in at least 24 hours because that helps weed out the bad ones.
    Midwestside
    Midwestside

Post by Midwestside Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Midwestside wrote:
    yel17 wrote:Remove your present rectifier and Install a 5U4GB rectifier and re-bias.

What characteristics change should I expect from this?

Would a 5u4G without the B be an ok choice or are you specifically recommending the GB?
    yel17

Post by yel17 Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:08 am

The GB is what I used. It made a real difference when paired with the JJ 6CA7 fat boys. You could try a 5U4G, but stay away from the cheap Chinese 5U4G. The 5U4G should sound even more tubey than the GB.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm

The way I understand it is that you'll just get a little less power by switching to a 5U4GB (from a 5AR4).
    The up side of the 5U4 is that they are very common and very inexpensive (NOS).
    The VTA ST 70 calls for the 5AR4, though.

One thing I learned the hard way when I first got my VTA ST70 and wanted to try different power tubes:
    Make sure you clean the sockets and re-tension when swapping in a new set.
    (Just a heads up...sorry, if you already know this.)

Also, After trying different set of power tubes, I decided that (except for my NOS Mullards) the Valve Arts that came with the amp were actually the best sounding (and most inexpensive).

Section1 likes this post

Solder Slinger

What new production power tubes do I want to try next in my VTA 70? Empty A couple of thoughts on using a 5U4GB

Post by Solder Slinger Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:37 pm

One, the 5U4GB draws 3 amps of 5 volt heater current, the 5AR4 draws 1.9 amps. If you are using an original Dynaco "low stack" power transformer you are adding significant transformer overload. A Triode Electronic or perhaps another "replacement" power transformer with a heavier 5 V output rating alleviates this problem.

Second, a 5U4GB heats up much faster than a 5AR4, bringing on high voltage before the tubes have heated up. I would recommend a CL-80 NTC varistor as a minimum on the 120 volt side of the transformer or better: (2) CL-90s in parallel to both slow down the inrush and somewhat delay the high voltage. Better still, consider a high voltage delay timer on your power supply (as well as the CL-80).

Just a couple of thoughts...

Yes, your voltage, and therefore your output power will be very slightly lower with the 5U4XX series rectifiers.

DesignInc likes this post

DesignInc
    DesignInc

Post by DesignInc Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Hi I actually have a Dan Steele ST70 from the 90 that being said tube sound should be similar to my experiences. The Power Tubes I've run vintage Sylvania 6CA7's, Electro Harmonix EL34EH now running Electro Harmonix 6CA7 (4x) = $108 from Tube Depot matching not burned but that is an option for a couple bucks. I have a thing for the big bottle design, liking them very much and would agree with this review -
    “Designed to the exacting specifications of the Phillips 6CA7, this classic tetrode returns to life in a big bottle design. The 6CA7EH is built to withstand today’s high-gain amps while still retaining the detailed tone and component integrity of the original. A direct replacement, with military reliability, for any EL34”. - Tube Depot I'm running them through 1974 Allison Ones which are more "wall of sound" than super detailed big sound stage, so I would consider them already warm. Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:40 am