The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

4 ohm speakers

Latts
    Latts

4 ohm speakers Empty 4 ohm speakers

Post by Latts Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Can the VTA ST-70 safely drive 4 ohm speakers?  I’m looking to upgrade my speakers, and would like to know if I can consider either 4 or 8 ohm speakers...

Thx in advance...

Latts
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

4 ohm speakers Empty Re: 4 ohm speakers

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed May 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Yep.
    I'm running 4 ohm Tyler Acoustics. I had to swap a wire inside the amp but I believe the newer VTA ST70s come with separate posts for connecting 8 or 4 ohm speakers.
    My setup sounds great.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 am

Latts wrote:Can the VTA ST-70 safely drive 4 ohm speakers?  I’m looking to upgrade my speakers, and would like to know if I can consider either 4 or 8 ohm speakers...

Thx in advance...

Latts

Latts,

You can consider EITHER 4 or 8 ohm speakers if you use the VTA ST-70 to drive your speakers. All the VTA amps may be set up for any TWO speaker impedances  (4 and 8 ohms, 4 and 16 ohms or 8 and 16 ohms). It all depends on which two transformer secondary wires are connected to the two red binding posts. The most common connection is 4 and 8 ohms in which you would connect the brown (4 ohm) and orange (8 ohm) wires to the red speaker binding posts. Some speakers out there now are listed as "6 ohms". What I would do if you have 6 ohm speakers is try your 6 ohm speakers on BOTH the 4 and the 8 ohm taps to see which one sounds best to you. One tap may give a little more bass or just "sound better" than the other. Most times customers with 6 ohm speakers tell me that they can't really tell any difference between the two taps.

As a side note > The ultralinear output stage on all the VTA amps is the best tube amp output stage to drive complex and capacitive speaker loads. This includes planar magnetic and electrostatic speakers which give some tube amps problems because of the load it places on the amp.

Bob
    Latts
    Latts

Post by Latts Thu May 13, 2021 9:01 am

Bob, I have the most recent VTA ST-70 amps with two red taps on each side. Am I to assume they are 4 & 8 ohm taps?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu May 13, 2021 9:13 am

Latts wrote:Bob, I have the most recent VTA ST-70 amps with two red taps on each side.  Am I to assume they are 4 & 8 ohm taps?  

Yes - The instructions in the assembly manual have you set them up for 4 and 8 ohms OR if you have a wired ST-70, they are set up for 4 and 8 ohms.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Thu May 13, 2021 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    Latts
    Latts

Post by Latts Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 am

Thank you!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm