The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

M125 final updates

LeGrace
    LeGrace

M125 final updates Empty M125 final updates

Post by LeGrace Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm

I've had these for a few years and struggled with some issues. Updates I've recently applied:

Update 1)
    Adding auto biasing boards - for me these have proved a godsend. Recurring red plates were a nightmare and costing me a lot. Pre AB boards typical power tube life was 500 - 1000 hours max. With AB boards I'm now 5000 hours plus, still looking to establish an upper limit as they just keep going and going. 
    Update 2)
    And some cosmetic upgrades...

M125 final updates File

pedrocols likes this post

AmpedUp
    AmpedUp

M125 final updates Empty Re: M125 final updates

Post by AmpedUp Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Just beautiful LeGrace... I can see that wrapping the case with wood is becoming the trend. I also am a big fan and advocate of the AB boards. I love knowing that the bias will adjust as the music signal changes during the song. Some day in the near future, I'll follow jsl1234's lead and relocate the blue AB lights to the top of my case and change to amber to match the glow of the tubes.

LeGrace likes this post

LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:14 pm

Some day in the near future, I'll follow jsl1234's lead and relocate the blue AB lights to the top of my case and change to amber to match the glow of the tubes. wrote:

I considered doing similar until I came to the realization that all I have to do is sight along the right hand edge of the chassis. The LED's cast off enough light to generate a glow within the edge gap and I can confirm their status this way. Having them fully exposed and amber would be cool I admit, but this indirect approach is good enough for me.

I have seen arguments made for and against installing AB boards, all I can speak to is my experience which has been highly positive.

pavlikkkk
    pavlikkkk

Post by pavlikkkk Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:44 am

LeGrace wrote:

I considered doing similar until I came to the realization that all I have to do is sight along the right hand edge of the chassis. The LED's cast off enough light to generate a glow within the edge gap and I can confirm their status this way. Having them fully exposed and amber would be cool I admit, but this indirect approach is good enough for me.

I have seen arguments made for and against installing AB boards, all I can speak to is my experience which has been highly positive.

I ordered an amber LED. I can assemble them using wires and prepare them for mounting in AB.
    I just need to know the lengths of the cables.
    If interested, I will send them.

Pavel
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:59 pm

Definitely interested. PM sent.
    pavlikkkk
    pavlikkkk

Post by pavlikkkk Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:36 am

LeGrace wrote:Definitely interested. PM sent.
    It will be four amber diodes.
    Think about where you want to put the LEDs in the amplifier and write what cable lengths you need.
    Pavel
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:20 pm

I was thinking to use the two upper bias test point locations on each amp. But when I open the amp to make precise measurements I experience panic attack. What if I were to mess something up? I decide better not to tempt fate. Just continue to enjoy the great performance I am getting from the AB boards.

Member AmpedUp may be interested to stand in on this possibility. Thanks again pavlikkkk for your kind consideration.
    pavlikkkk
    pavlikkkk

Post by pavlikkkk Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:18 pm

LeGrace wrote:I was thinking to use the two upper bias test point locations on each amp. But when I open the amp to make precise measurements I experience panic attack. What if I were to mess something up? I decide better not to tempt fate. Just continue to enjoy the great performance I am getting from the AB boards.

Member AmpedUp may be interested to stand in on this possibility. Thanks again pavlikkkk for your kind consideration.
    I am very glad that you enjoy quality sound thanks to my AB.
    However, if you still want to insert these amber LEDs into amplifiers in the future, write. I will be glad to help you.
    Thank you for the compliment,
    Pavel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:39 am