The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

PAS Signal Chain Weirdness... What should a square wave look like as it goes through the gain stages?

kenmwallace

PAS Signal Chain Weirdness... What should a square wave look like as it goes through the gain stages? Empty PAS Signal Chain Weirdness... What should a square wave look like as it goes through the gain stages?

Post by kenmwallace Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:02 am

I want to use my PAS-2 primarily for phonograph. So, I need the PC6 to work well.
    I fed a 1kHz square wave in at a few hundred mV. The waveform looked pretty good after the first stage of the 12AX7. But, after the second stage it was a triangle.
    Is that normal? Could the tube be bad? I don't have a tube tester.
    peterh
    peterh

PAS Signal Chain Weirdness... What should a square wave look like as it goes through the gain stages? Empty Re: PAS Signal Chain Weirdness... What should a square wave look like as it goes through the gain stages?

Post by peterh Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:22 am

kenmwallace wrote:I want to use my PAS-2 primarily for phonograph. So, I need the PC6 to work well.
    I fed a 1kHz square wave in at a few hundred mV. The waveform looked pretty good after the first stage of the 12AX7. But, after the second stage it was a triangle.
    Is that normal? Could the tube be bad? I don't have a tube tester.
    The manual shows a good square wave.

Where are you measuring ? Correct place is the output post. The manual shows the square wave.
    In Your case i assume treble is turned down.
    nmchiefsfan

PAS Signal Chain Weirdness... What should a square wave look like as it goes through the gain stages? Empty Re: PAS Signal Chain Weirdness... What should a square wave look like as it goes through the gain stages?

Post by nmchiefsfan Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:49 pm

My guess would be there is some filtering going on. I am not familiar with the Pre-Amp or where the RIAA and tone control stuff is done but could one of those be the culprit?
    audioregenesis
    audioregenesis

Post by audioregenesis Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:57 pm

If you feed a square wave directly into the phono input, then yes, you would xpect to see something akin to a triangle wave at the output. The phono stage is RIAA equalized, thus the square wave effectively sees a low pass filter. You would need a reverse RIAA filter at the phono input to perform square wave testing.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:39 am

AudioRegenisis,
    great to see you still contributing here !! Keep up the great work !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 am