The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
New2Tubez
Tom
LeGrace
colin86325
CletusB
9 posters

The Perfect Gift

CletusB
    CletusB

The Perfect Gift Empty The Perfect Gift

Post by CletusB Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:41 pm

The perfect gift and perfect addition to my lovely ST-120 based stereo system.
    I was just given as gift, this beautiful, sexy TEAC A-3340S Reel to Reel machine in pristine condition. I am the only one who has ever worked on this machine since the original purchase, and started doing so fresh out of tech school in my late teens. What is even better, it comes with many 10.5” reels which are the masters of the sound tracks of “Broadway style” musical performances produced and directed by my late brother Wayne (1940 – 2011) http://www.bestoftrinidad.com/profiles/berkeley.html
    The friend (also a graphic artist, author, composer and musician himself) giving it to me says, since I last overhauled it for him in 1999, he played the thing like once, covered it with a garbage bag and has not even looked at it till today. What a find, I’m stoked!  I’ve already ordered new belts and a pinch-roller tire for it.  Service manual downloaded, a full restoration will ensue.

The Perfect Gift My_a3310

Tune, aguaazul, Donspokane, Dave_in_Va, mijohn and 10-E-C like this post

colin86325

The Perfect Gift Empty Re: The Perfect Gift

Post by colin86325 Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:31 pm

Incredible gift, enjoy!
    Great that you are 100% familiar with its service life, as well.
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:29 pm

Congrats on the fine gift! Teacs of that era are real tanks, wouldn't surprise me if new rubber and fresh lube is all it requires.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:37 pm

Thanks guys, pretty neat having this machine in the listening room, certainly not a "need" but incredible "cool-factor", plus it is great to tinker with.
    So far I've got the mechanical stuff out of the way: Pinch roller pivot freed up and lubricated, tension adjustments on the reels, braking force, capstan cleaned-up, some rust was on there but got it nicely dressed with 1500 grit paper and scotch-brite and lubricated the shaft. Surprisingly the belt and pinch-roller tire are perfectly fine (got new belts, tire and a can  DeOxit coming in nonetheless).
    The present issues to tackle are:
    Ch1 - Works fine, VU lamp is blown
    Ch2 - Issue with mike input, source is fine but tape monitor is just crackle noise, VU lamp is blown
    Ch3 - Issue with mike input, source is fine but tape monitor is just crackle noise
    Ch4 - Works fine

The tapes I got with this thing are pretty bad and just junk on them really. I really need to get me the TEAC Test/Calibration Tapes (YTT-1003 and YTT-1004), but they're not cheap! ....if you know of a good deal, please hook me up, I've got no reference whatsoever to work with. Also,I'm looking for a legible complete schematic diagram, yet to find a decent one on-line.
    I'm not rushing it, chugging along in my spare time, but it's happening albeit slowly.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 am

UPDATE:  Well, it's coming along great, CH 2 was a PNP transistor and a cap to change, just CH 3 to sort out now, but it's REALLY cramped working in there!  Let's not even talk about getting to the VUs to change those bulbs, that's a whole new challenge unto itself!   .....It's nuts, how did they build this thing on the production line?

Did a little test run now with some Jazz renderings, this thing sounds wonderful through my VTA ST-120 amp and VOTTs, even though I was using a >25-year old tape reel, can't wait for it to be fully up and running.

The Perfect Gift Crampe11

The Perfect Gift Crampe10
    Tom

Post by Tom Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:11 am

Wow! Envy!!! Congrats on the awesome find. Smile
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:31 pm

Hey Cletus,

Very cool. I don't have R2R but my stepdad had a Tandberg when i was in high school. I inherited his Thorens TD125 mk2. BTW, Acoustic Sounds has recorded tape for sale $$$$

You might find this of interest:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/201765-who-here-has-a-2-track-reel-to-reel-deck/
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:23 pm

Thanks guys. Apart from some of the access frustration, I'm pretty much enjoying working on this machine. Fond memories from the 70s when I worked on some of these and Studer Revox.  It's coming along nicely, I am in no rush to get it done and no real need for it. Just think it's cool to have and something from my early tech school days to fiddle with.  Certainly a conversation piece! Cool
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:02 pm

Got going in the workshop at 6am today and this is what I got to show for it Laughing :

The Perfect Gift Trolle15
    The Perfect Gift Trolle14
    The Perfect Gift Trolle13

Roy Mottram, Donspokane, Dave_in_Va and LeGrace like this post

CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:16 pm

The Perfect Gift Studio11

Roy Mottram, Donspokane and LeGrace like this post

Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:46 am

Nice; Is that wave guide that u're framing in the first photo? Dale
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:29 pm

Dale Stevens wrote:Nice;  Is that wave guide that u're framing in the first photo?  Dale

Not sure what you mean "wave guide"???
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:24 am

As you can see from my avatar, I have one too. Purchased new in 1975. When I set-up my 2-channel listening room 10 years ago, I took it out and did an initial check. It powered up however, the operation was irratic, channel response was not equal. Purchased a service manual on line and did what I could but I ended up sending it to a friend in Arizona who restores vintage gear. He went through it and it was in very good shape meaning the heads were not scratched and still looked excellent. The hubs required alignment but after calibration the response measurements were back in spec. I then let it sit until 2 years ago. Finding it was not operational I took it apart and needed to loosen sticky relays which is a chore. It took time and patience but now it works perfectly. Make sure you lubricate the relays with deoxit quite well and spray compressed air on them to remove any residue. Some are hard to get the cover off so I ended up drilling small holes to spray cleaner using flexible extended tubes to spray close to the coil contact area of the relay. After cycling several times I put scotch tape over the holes. Finding a calibration tape may be difficult but a company Splicit may be able to help.I used ATR magnetics as my source but they went out of business. Highly recommend SM900 tape making sure you use the correct bias and EQ. When I record Master LP's I use high for both. When recording streaming music, I use hi EQ and normal bias. These are bullet proof machines, well made and a prime example of analog mechanical design. Enjoy this piece of audio history and keep it is shape. It will provide years of enjoyment
    Wotan
    Wotan

Post by Wotan Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:19 am

CletusB wrote:
    Dale Stevens wrote:Nice;  Is that wave guide that u're framing in the first photo?  Dale

Not sure what you mean "wave guide"???

I know what a wave guide is, but I don't see one.
    Wotan
    Wotan

Post by Wotan Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:30 am

CletusB wrote:The perfect gift and perfect addition to my lovely ST-120 based stereo system.
    I was just given as gift, this beautiful, sexy TEAC A-3340S Reel to Reel machine in pristine condition. I am the only one who has ever worked on this machine since the original purchase, and started doing so fresh out of tech school in my late teens. What is even better, it comes with many 10.5” reels which are the masters of the sound tracks of “Broadway style” musical performances produced and directed by my late brother Wayne (1940 – 2011) http://www.bestoftrinidad.com/profiles/berkeley.html
    The friend (also a graphic artist, author, composer and musician himself) giving it to me says, since I last overhauled it for him in 1999, he played the thing like once, covered it with a garbage bag and has not even looked at it till today. What a find, I’m stoked!  I’ve already ordered new belts and a pinch-roller tire for it.  Service manual downloaded, a full restoration will ensue.

The Perfect Gift My_a3310

I see it's a 4 track. Cool!

My Revox A-77 is similarly stored. I think about hauling it out, cleaning it up and possibly doing some maintenance, every time I see music on RTR tape for sale--until I look at the prices! (Not complaining they're overpriced, I'm sure it reflects the cost of manufacturing).

I used to work on them, and Ampex, when I was a broadcast engineer. I ordered the service manual from Revox right after purchasing it used from Audio Classics, and still have it.

These days when I want to do home recording, I use a Tascam digital, which records onto a SD card. Admittedly, not nearly as much fun.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:20 pm

I've got the appropriate calibration tapes coming in from Gennlab, New Zealand. Long wanted to get an RMS AC Millivoltmeter in my lab, ordered a used Kenwood VT-176 2CH AC Voltmeter also (would have loved a Ferrograph RTS2, but those are as rare as unicorn sperm these days). Already have many ways to generate test tones in the lab here from a Heathkit IG-18 to a Siglent SDG1032X. Some blank tape from ATR Magnetics and a pair of NAB hubs also on the way.
    Taking my time with it, I need a Reel to Reel like I need a hole in the head, but I'm enjoying working on it.  When I record my guitar stuff, I usually use a dedicated PC with Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro and Band in a box as that gives me lots of flexibility and more than enough tracks and effects to work with, (saved as .wav files on a 2tb NAS)

10-E-C and Tubes4ever like this post

CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:10 am

UPDATE:  Restoration just about done!
    All channels now working as they should (Replaced all electrolytic caps and transistors as needed on the playback EQ amp boards) and some caps and a transistor in the mike preamp circuit. Deoxit is the king when it comes to restoring switches and controls.
    The reels I have are like 30-years old and our tropical climate has certainly taken it's toll on them (they're dusting badly, lots of dropouts).
    I've got some new ATR Magnetics tape on order.  Anxious to receive my calibration tape and demag wand next week to properly re-calibrate the system.
    Tried my very best, but those VU meters are murder to access and thus could not replace the bulbs in Ch1 and Ch2, guess I will have to live with it, OCD that I am, it's driving me crazy to see it like that. All in all, this thing sounds really great!  .....electronics and transport dead silent.
    BTW It's a long weekend here, Trinidad Carnival (yesterday and today), the island wide parties have been going on non-stop, for a full week now!sunny drunken drunken

New2Tubez likes this post

New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:00 am

Nice to see your progress in getting the blue devil out of of your machine.
    Happy carnival!
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:27 am

Yes, I think they built the deck around the VU meter bulbs! Royal pain to replce and quite time consuming for a 30 second replacement. I'm fortunate my originals are still lighting up. (Now tomorrow, they will burn out!)
    Have fun calibrating and enjoying the ATR tape.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:31 pm

Brap wrote:Yes, I think they built the deck around the VU meter bulbs! Royal pain to replce and quite time consuming for a 30 second replacement. I'm fortunate my originals are still lighting up. (Now tomorrow, they will burn out!)
    Have fun calibrating and enjoying the ATR tape.
    Have you used ATR tape with your machine and if so, what are your impressions with it?
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:00 pm

New2Tubez likes this post

Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:11 pm

Check out my previous posts I sent you. I think it is excellent tape."I used ATR magnetics as my source but they went out of business. Highly recommend SM900 tape making sure you use the correct bias and EQ. When I record Master LP's I use high for both. When recording streaming music, I use hi EQ and normal bias"
    EDIT -- THEY SOLD OF ONE PORTION OF THEIR BUSINESS AND STILL PRODUCE TAPE. i APOLOGIZE FOR Y ERROR AND THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME! Embarassed

Last edited by Brap on Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:16 pm

I've always used ATR Magnetics MDS 36. I never could see the need for the thicker master tape since I don't run a recording studio.

ATR went out business?? When did this happen? I haven't ordered tape for about a year.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:42 pm

November 2022.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:35 am

I think they just sold off the Ampex R2R restoration part of the business but kept the tape manufacturing business.  .............I could be wrong!

UPDATE:
    Ok, so I just got off the phone with the owner Bette Spitz (very pleasant lady indeed), they are very much in business, focused on tape manufacturing and only sold off the Ampex restoration business. She was very interested in hearing about my TEAC A-3340S restoration project

The Perfect Gift Atr10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 04, 2024 12:35 am