The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers

James_Weir
    James_Weir

wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers Empty wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers

Post by James_Weir Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:04 pm

Apologies for how intro lever this question is: I purchased some replacement speaker posts to install but every photo I can find has slightly different wiring than mine. Presumably these are the newer output transformers that come with the VTA complete kit? I did the upgrade and kept the original output transformers. I was planning on connecting the 8 ohm wire and folding the others on themselves, but there is a wire connected to the 16 ohm connection. Should that stay connected to that wire without being connected to a speaker post or be moved to the 8 ohm connection?

And to ask an even more basic question, is this typically a soldered connection or just wrapped around and pinched between the nuts on the new posts?

wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers Screen10
    Blitzen
    Blitzen

wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers Empty Re: wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers

Post by Blitzen Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:23 pm

I'm pretty sure that wire attached to the 16 ohm connection is for a feedback loop, and it's very important that it remains connected. If you're not ever using the 16 ohm out, you can just unsolder from that lug and solder those two back together with some shrink wrap ready to go over the joint.
    You don't need to connect unused outputs to anything. Shrink wrap the bare wire end of the unused 4 ohm.
    Yes, you should solder the wires to the new posts.
    James_Weir
    James_Weir

wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers Empty Re: wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers

Post by James_Weir Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:00 pm

Thanks. That was all what I assumed but good to have verification. Here's the finished conversion for anyone in the future who, like myself, is greatly helped by a photo

wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers Screen11

Blitzen and 10-E-C like this post

Knobs

wiring new banana speaker posts with original ST 70 output transformers Empty Easy screw to banana conversion (no soldering)

Post by Knobs Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:47 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:56 am