The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

SP14 losing right channel when warm

Dusterdave

SP14 losing right channel when warm Empty SP14 losing right channel when warm

Post by Dusterdave Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:32 pm

Hey everyone,
    I’m experiencing a problem with my SP14. Everything is great until 1 to 2 hours of listening then the right channel cuts out. I run 12SN7 tubes and leaning to those tubes as the culprit. Any suggestions?
    Thanks Dave
    Rec

SP14 losing right channel when warm Empty Re: SP14 losing right channel when warm

Post by Rec Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:20 am

I’d go through the solder joints on the board. Maybe a tube socket? Wonky solder Joints can open up when heated.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

SP14 losing right channel when warm Empty Re: SP14 losing right channel when warm

Post by Dave_in_Va Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:37 am

You mean 6SN7s, right?

I had the same problem with my SP 14. Is your SP 14 an older unit?

I ended up sending mine back to Roy twice. Mine was a very early SP 14 and the old ones had an un undersized heat sink and an an out of spec filament transformer.
    That may or may not be your problem.
    Dusterdave

Post by Dusterdave Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:34 am

Thanks all.
    I checked all solder joints tonight. Nothing looked bad but just to be safe I resoldered all the tube sockets, the power transistors, and everything that could be suspect. I only had time to play 1 lp, it worked fine but tomorrow I’ll let it play for a few hours and keep my fingers crossed!
    Dave, I run 12SN7s, they are essentially the same but operate at 12v instead of 6v and can be bought for less.
    Oh, I also checked all voltages on the build sheet. Everything looked good both when first turned on and after being powered for 2 hours.
    Again I will test tomorrow.
    Thanks for the feedback!

10-E-C likes this post

Dusterdave

Post by Dusterdave Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:52 pm

Hey all,
    I still have the problem. Yesterday I checked and resoldered, today it again lost the right channel after it warmed up. I have installed new tubes (including the rectifier). Any suggestions?
    Dave, I checked all voltages when warm yesterday and everything seemed okay so probably not the transformer?
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:16 pm

I'm not a tech but my SP 14 was doing exactly what yours is doing as I said.
    How old is your SP 14? Is changing over to 12SN7s a common mod?

Like I said. Roy had to work on mine twice.
    Dusterdave

Post by Dusterdave Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:42 pm

Hey Dave,
    My unit is about 7 years old so it could be the transformer. My thinking is if the voltages were correct after warming up yesterday the transformer should be okay but I think I will perform another voltage test tomorrow after it has been powered up for at least 2 hours.
    I would say the 12SN7 is a fairly common modification and was suggested by Roy at the time of purchase. I just purchased 4 NOS 12SN7s for under $30.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:43 pm