The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)?

snip73

Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)? Empty Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)?

Post by snip73 Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:23 pm

I have two MKIII's that I have rebuilt using Roy's newest kits. The amps are not seeing really any use as I have an MC275 in my system currently. After perusing this forum I am concerned about modern line voltage and the need to use a variac with these amps to keep it more civilized.

Is that the only and best course of action? I assume buying and installing new transformers would mitigate the concern as well...
    peterh
    peterh

Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)? Empty Re: Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)?

Post by peterh Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:49 pm

snip73 wrote:I have two MKIII's that I have rebuilt using Roy's newest kits. The amps are not seeing really any use as I have an MC275 in my system currently. After perusing this forum I am concerned about modern line voltage and the need to use a variac with these amps to keep it more civilized.

Is that the only and best course of action? I assume buying and installing new transformers would mitigate the concern as well...
    A better way (imho) is to connect them via a step-down transformer that reduces the
    voltage a fixed amount ( 5 or 6Volt). These are small cheap transformers from manins to 5 or 6 Volt
    where the secondary is connected in series with the mains to the amp. Connected in one way
    it will reduce voltage connected other way it will increase voltage, one has to measure
    when building.

There are threads here with examples.
    Seamus
    Seamus

Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)? Empty Re: Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)?

Post by Seamus Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:32 am

A still better idea is a multi step bucker.

AC voltage can vary on the season in various parts of the world.

This guy built a nice example
    Three Voltage Bucker

Necessity of a variac with MKIII Transformer(s)? Bucktr10

smoorenc and ESL-57 like this post

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:47 pm

I use a bucking transformer - nothing fancy like the one above - just a hammond transformer and some parts from Lowes - didn't cost much and does an awesome job.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 pm