The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+12
WireNut
LeGrace
mark four
cci1492
jasn54
slate1
bluemeanies
Peter W.
jfine
bigmm79
Roy Mottram
Bob Latino
16 posters

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo)

slate1
    slate1

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Empty Re: New product - VTA driver board cover (photo)

Post by slate1 Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

Got the cover installed and couldn't be happier!  I've posted some pictures below.

A couple of notes - the cover is designed to fit flush with the chassis and as has been indicated, all the large caps have to be located on the bottom of the PCB.  Additionally, on my unit C11 and C12 were probably .15" or so above the top of the chassis as well.  

In lieu of moving them to the bottom of the board, I simply sourced some 3/4" #4-40 bolts from my local hardware store and some .197" #4-40 hex nut spacers from Amazon (100 of them!).  The original 1/2" 4-40 bolts holding the PCB had two nuts acting as spacers between the bottom of the chassis top and the PCB.  I removed those and replaced them with the new .197" spacers and also placed spacers on top between the chassis and the plexi cover.  This gave me exactly the clearance I needed and looks attractive.  I reused the locking nuts on the bottom of the PCB.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO DO THIS - I HAVE 92 .197" #4-40 SPACERS REMAINING Laughing AND I'D BE HAPPY TO JUST MAIL YOU 8 OF THEM FREE OF CHARGE, JUST PM ME.

(also, if anyone is interested in a McShane matched quad of Gold Lion KT-88's, I posted some for sale in the sticky for it...)

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_2513
    New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_2512
    New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_2514
    New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_2515
    New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_2516
    jasn54

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Empty Re: New product - VTA driver board cover (photo)

Post by jasn54 Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:00 pm

That looks very nice s1. Nice work. Curious to know if the glow from the tubes in a dark room gets picked up by the cover and conducts/provides any added visual affect?
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Ordered a set with Roy today for the 2 m125s. I'll post some pics once they're installed.
    mark four
    mark four

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Empty nice looking cover

Post by mark four Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:47 pm

if i had a stereo 70  i would def order one it looks really sharp and keeps the dust out .

Last edited by mark four on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    slate1
    slate1

Post by slate1 Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:41 pm

jasn54 wrote:That looks very nice s1.  Nice work.  Curious to know if the glow from the tubes in a dark room gets picked up by the cover and conducts/provides any added visual affect?

Does't really do that, I'm sure if the 12AU7's had a bit more "glow" like, say, some 6922's it would. I couldn't be happier with how it came together though.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 am

Everything lines (holes) up nicely, they are crystal clear (not a scratch/mark on them) and look great. You'll need 5/8" or 3/4" 4 40 screws to allow for the extra 1/8" thickness of the cover. Had to tilt back a couple of components very slightly to allow for space.

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_7010

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_7011

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_7012
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:07 am

nice photos Claude, thanks
    BTW, a pair of covers for the M125 amps is $55 including shipping in USA.
    For ST70 or ST120 amps, $45 including shipping.
    I don't stock these, custom made to order as needed.
    send me an email or PM to order, and payment via PayPal
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:26 am

Thank you Roy. Forgot to mention, if anyone is using the adapter to mess around with the 6sn7 tubes, the cover does not get in the way. The sockets are perfectly flush with the top of the cover. See here:

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_7013
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 pm

I wish they had 4 holes for the ST-120 standing topside capacitors too
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Cletus,
    then you'd have a whole lot of holes and not much plexiglass !! kind of a waste. Move the caps to the underside of the PCB.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 am

tubes4hifi wrote:Cletus,
    then you'd have a whole lot of holes and not much plexiglass !!   kind of a waste.   Move the caps to the underside of the PCB.
    I really want one but with the additional holes for the four standing electrolytic capacitors. Let me know price please (no VTX etc engraving)
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Interested in the acrylic covers for my M125's if available with cap holes?
    WireNut
    WireNut

Post by WireNut Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Do these covers help with heat dissipation on the top of the unit? Do they help keep the innards of the chassis cooler?
    I don't need to ask if they are about the coolest looking thing to add to an amp- anyone can see that!
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 pm

It arrived today, and I'm pretty damned happy with my Acrylic Cover (4-holes for the standing caps)

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Acryli10
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu May 03, 2018 7:18 pm

WireNut,
    if anything, things will run hotter not cooler since you're covering up most of the board.

Cletus,
    great photo, looks great, now you just need to keep your fingers away from those HOT output tubes !! Very Happy
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks Roy!   ...it certainly lends a nice "finish" to the amplifier.
    I can detect no increase in running temps with my FLIR thermal imager.
    No need to touch the amp at all, system power (on and off) is via voice commands to "Alexa" Laughing
    dmagazz
    dmagazz

Post by dmagazz Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:31 pm

has anyone made a polycarbonate cage for the st 70?
    Wotan
    Wotan

Post by Wotan Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am

Are driver board covers for the M125 available today?  I see from the web site they are out of stock for the ST70, but see no  mention of the 125.  When will they be available and how do I get them?
    Wotan
    Wotan

Post by Wotan Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:25 am

tubes4hifi wrote:Cletus,
    then you'd have a whole lot of holes and not much plexiglass !!   kind of a waste.   Move the caps to the underside of the PCB.

I'm a tiny bit concerned those caps will bake faster under the chassis, with no ventilation. Less exposure to tube heat though. Visually, I prefer them below deck. I preemptively built my second M125 board with the caps underside, with the cover in mind. I suppose I'd have to run the amps with temperature probes above and below to answer my concern.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 am

Wotan wrote:Are driver board covers for the M125 available today?  I see from the web site they are out of stock for the ST70, but see no  mention of the 125.  When will they be available and how do I get them?

We don't have the driver board covers as yet for the VTA M-125's. The VTA ST-70/ST-120 driver board covers will be back in stock next Monday January 13th, 2020.

Bob
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:30 pm

I can have clear acrylic covers made for the M125 amps anytime, would be better if several people wanted to order to maybe lower the price about 10%.
    Cost would be around $55-60 per pair including shipping. Email me to order or get on a list.
    info@tubes4hifi.com
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:56 am

I'm ordering 3 pairs of M125 plexi covers, for sale to interested people for $55 a pair with shipping. $10 more if you need the big cap holes on top.
    email me or check my MK3 page
    ranges

Post by ranges Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 am

Will moving the caps to the bottom on the M125s cause an issue if installing auto bias boards in the future
    Thanks
    ranges

Post by ranges Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:09 am

Also comparing my board to the board in the earlier post they appear to be different.
    Will the covers even work to cover my board.
    Thanks

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo) - Page 2 Img_1710
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:54 pm

ranges, you have an older board, so a custom board would need to be made to fit yours.
    Also, you'd need all the holes on top for large components, because the auto-bias mounts 3/4" below the driver board.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 am