The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Tantalum Resistors ?

Mike16W

Tantalum Resistors ? Empty Tantalum Resistors ?

Post by Mike16W Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

Has anyone tried Tantalum resistors in the ST-70 kit? They are expensive but may be worth it in a few selective areas if they improve the sound. Also, the kit has 1k ohm resistors on the grids of the tubes. Are these grid stopper resistors and should they be replaced by carbon film resistors or ?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Tantalum Resistors ? Empty Re: Tantalum Resistors ?

Post by Bob Latino Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Mike,

The Dynaco VTA ST-70 amp kit comes with 1000 ohm 1 watt carbon film grid stopper resistors. You can always try to change them out for some "boutique" resistor but (IMHO) you won't hear any differences in the amp's sound.

Bob
    Mike16W

Post by Mike16W Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks Bob, I will probably leave well enough alone.

Mike
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:20 pm

I've never tried tantalum resistors but I do use Takman brand premium carbon film resistors in grid stopper locations on my preamps, they are about 75 cents each (plus $9 shipping!!) Carbon film is usually noisier than metal film but supposely (I haven't seen any real data on them) these are supposed to be very low noise. Carbon film on grids though is generally known to lessen the chance for any oscillation from RF or EMF pickup.
    Mike16W

Post by Mike16W Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 pm

I had some Riken carbon resistors in my resistor box that I installed. They seemed to make a nice difference but I would probably not bought them, at their price, if I had not already had some. I may try some of tantalums in the amp later once I get a moment.
    Mike16W

Post by Mike16W Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 am

I wanted to add that I had originally put 1K tantalums in the grid stopper locations. Did not sound good at all....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:41 pm