The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Ever sell tube amps to an overseas buyer?

j beede
    j beede

Ever sell tube amps to an overseas buyer? Empty Ever sell tube amps to an overseas buyer?

Post by j beede Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:54 pm

I am toying with the idea of selling my Mark IIIs to an international buyer. I remember buying a Linn LP-12 from a Canadian seller several years back (pre NAFTA). The deal was completed and the LP-12 arrived in fine condition but the seller ended up shipping it to me "for free". It was supposed to be a COD shipment but the customs ordeal ended up being complicated and the Linn was delivered to me without collecting any money. I sent the seller the agreed price plus shipping. He took this risk and was anxious about it--can't blame him. Is there a sensible way to sell a pair of Mark IIIs to PRC, ROC, HK, Vietnam, or Europe? Ever done it? What did you learn?
    ...j
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Ever sell tube amps to an overseas buyer? Empty Re: Ever sell tube amps to an overseas buyer?

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi,

If you sell out of the USA you have IMHO only two relatively safe choices of accepting payment. The first being "safer" than the second.

1. Have the customer send you the funds by Western Union and then ship the item by either USPS Priority mail or USPS Express mail. He goes to any Western Union Office and sends you the funds by Western Union. He then Emails to you the transaction number and you go to any Western Union office in the USA and collect your money and cash or deposit the check. You can't lose on this one because you have his money. Western Union offices are in the ROC, Vietnam and PRC.

2. Have the customer send you the funds by Paypal using his Paypal account. If he does - Paypal will always check him out in any questionable situation. Now here is the issue with Paypal. If the customer later claims that he never received the item, Paypal *could* side with him and return his funds. To counter this > If shipping out of the USA after the customer has paid by Paypal, you ship only by USPS Express Mail which has a tracking number. You can check online to find out whether the item has been delivered. If you have PROOF of delivery then Paypal would side with you if there is any question of whether the item was delivered or not.

Some foreign customers may ask for a direct transfer of funds from his bank account to yours. I don't go for this and have never used this because I don't like the idea of giving out my bank account number to a stranger.

Bob
    j beede
    j beede

Ever sell tube amps to an overseas buyer? Empty Re: Ever sell tube amps to an overseas buyer?

Post by j beede Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Yea, those are the options I would consider for payment. What about customs, inspections, tariffs, taxes, and other surprises? Anyone have any learnings to share with respect to these?
    ...j
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:41 pm

j beede wrote:Yea, those are the options I would consider for payment. What about customs, inspections, tariffs, taxes, and other surprises? Anyone have any learnings to share with respect to these?
    ...j

These are not applicable to the sender but depending on the country involved, the person receiving the item may be responsible for any value added tax, inspections etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:56 pm