The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Mk IV Questions

denny9167
    denny9167

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mk IV Questions

Post by denny9167 Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 pm

j beede wrote:i'd like to hear some details about those ribbon drivers Denny9167.

They are made by a company called BG,they stand around 6 1/2' tall, they have a range from 150Hz to 18,000Hz 400W max power handling. I am planning on a powered subwoofer to handle the low end.

Here is the link to the web page

www.bgcorp.com

also check www.partsexpress.com for more imformation. That is were I purchased mine.
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 am

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 DSC_0886
    One of the Bias caps showed some signs of chemical leakage, so I decided use Dynakit's Bias Circut Kit. It uses higher value and voltage caps with a IN4007 Diode replacing the green one and I choose carbon resistors for whatever reason.

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 DSC_0891
    New Transformer cover to match the other amp. In hindsight in may been a poor idea because the old covers were hard to get off and I think I was lucky not to damage the transformer. Plus the quad cap really needs to be uninsalled, but I able to get it on. Also the four corner holes do not match up, but that was no big deal because the center did.

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 DSC_0889
    Finally some matched 6CA7 electro-harmonix and a lot Flitz. I biased the tubes to 1.43. Think I am done for for now. Will need to read up on upgrades and start looking at the circuit board caps. Thanks all for the help and good ideas.

harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Sorry to be Mr. Spammy, but I was doing the Bias one my factory wired amp and had a question.

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 DSC_0895
    One this one I have pulled yellow green wire from pin 2 and noticed a jumper wire connecting pin 2 to pin 3.

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 DSC_0896
    Here is the kit wired one I just did, but there is no jumper between pins 2 and 3. The yellow and green wire just sits there doing nothing. The amp plays fine, but when I did the upgrade I did wonder why the wire would just sit there not connected to anything.

Looked like in the schematic it is jumpered any thoughts?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm

if you look at the schematic for the MK4 the yellow-green wire should be going to ground, it is the center-tap for the filament voltage
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks Tubes4hifi,

That makes sense, post 3 goes to ground. The kit amp showed no evidence of this being ever being installed. I should have questioned a transformer wire being soldered to a terminal that doesn't go to anywhere as suspect. Easy fix thanks again. Embarassed
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 DSC_0898

Little jumper installed. The PA-135 was running a lot hotter than the one on the other amp. With it grounded correctly they both run very cool now. That was going to be my next issue to figure out, so I'm glad it was an easy fix. Also moved to transformer leads to the lower terminals like the factory one.

Mk IV Questions - Page 2 DSC_0893

Cage installed to protect it from Great Dane tail swipes.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 am

very good! now enjoy!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 pm