The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

VTA driver board, high or low gain?

alexg

VTA driver board, high or low gain? Empty VTA driver board, high or low gain?

Post by alexg Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:44 pm

I just acquired my first Dynaco ST70 a few days ago, it was restored by somebody, I bought it to be upgraded.

Am using a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp and the ST70 will be driving an Opera Seconda.

I am deciding which is appropriate driver for me, the 12at7 version or the 12au7/6sn7 low gain version?

Thanks.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

VTA driver board, high or low gain? Empty Re: VTA driver board, high or low gain?

Post by Bob Latino Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi,

The high or low gain choice is usually determined by the sensitivity of your speaker. Those speakers 93 dB and above should use the lower gain board and those speakers with a sensitivity lower than 93 dB should use the standard gain board. Your speakers are 89 dB and an independent test (link below) revealed them to have an even lower sensitivity than advertised. My recommendation (with the Opera Seconda speakers) is to use the standard gain 12AT7 version of the VTA driver board.

Opera Seconda review

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    alexg

VTA driver board, high or low gain? Empty Re: VTA driver board, high or low gain?

Post by alexg Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:02 am

Thanks Bob.

I noticed on the VTA board that it is using smaller bias pots, what kind are those and what is the power rating?

On my ST70, the pots are big and I think rested for 2 or 3 watts.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:20 am

The bias pots on the VTA board are 1/2 watt pots and their 1/2 watt rating is beyond what you really need. The large bulky pots that Dynaco used could probably handle more power, but a pot like that with a 2 or 3 watt rating was not really needed.

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 am