The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

How to clean the faceplate of a PAS2?

gatchaman

How to clean the faceplate of a PAS2? Empty How to clean the faceplate of a PAS2?

Post by gatchaman Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:08 am

Hi everyone,

Finally I have received my PAS2 ST-35 combo! Hooked up to my ScanDyna A-30X's my listening room has turned into a magical place. I had hoped for something special with this setup, but boy this is almost to good to be true. Just plain awesome.
    I have a little question though. Both the ST-35 and PAS2 are in mint condition, the only thing is that the metal faceplate of the PAS2 has "darkened". Just like when you haven't wore a gold or silver ring for ages and stored it in a box or something. Before I mess things up I was wondering if you guys could help me with what I could clean it so it becomes like it used to look again.

Thanx in advance.

Kindest regards, Gatchaman.
    GP49

How to clean the faceplate of a PAS2? Empty Re: How to clean the faceplate of a PAS2?

Post by GP49 Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:25 pm

You have to strip off the clearcoat first, then clean up the bare brass with metal polish or 0000 steel wool, being careful not to damage the painted brown stripe at the bottom. Then respray with clearcoat.
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

How to clean the faceplate of a PAS2? Empty Re: How to clean the faceplate of a PAS2?

Post by hawaii.ken Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:42 pm

I recommend that before applying your new clearcoat you soak the faceplate in a solution of baking soda and distilled water for 2-5 days to neutralize any acids remaining in the brass.
    gatchaman

Post by gatchaman Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 am

Thanx for the help guyss, I am going to clean it with your instructions.

Kindest regards, Gatchaman.
    markc2

Post by markc2 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:32 am

Does this work for other models such as Pas 3?

Where do you get the clear-coat from?

Thanks

Mark
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 am

Hi Mark,

One of the best clear coats out there (IMHO) is the Minwax Satin polyurethane. It is about $8 - $9 a can but gives a real nice clear coat with a low gloss. The lower gloss looks better to me than a higher gloss. Amazon carrys it. Most Wal-Mart's will carry it also. Link below ...

Minwax Satin Polyurethane

Bob
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:01 am

markc2 wrote:Does this work for other models such as Pas 3?

Do not use anything abrasive on the PAS-3 faceplate. The lettering is silkscreened and you risk
    rubbing it out.

The PAS-2 faceplate upper panel lettering was embossed, so no danger there.
    markc2

Post by markc2 Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm

cool, thanks

Mark

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 am