The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Bob Latino
GP49
dixierat
7 posters

Polishing PAS2 faceplate

dixierat

Polishing PAS2 faceplate Empty Polishing PAS2 faceplate

Post by dixierat Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:37 pm

My PAS2 faceplate is badly oxidized.Any experience using Brasso to polish a faceplate? Other candidates?Thanks in advance.

Curt
    GP49

Polishing PAS2 faceplate Empty Re: Polishing PAS2 faceplate

Post by GP49 Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Mine was severely worn by fingers on the volume control; the clearcoat was worn through and there was some scratching of the brushed brass finish. I used steel wool to polish out the scratches and restore the brushed brass appearance, then sealed it with clearcoat spray. It has since been in service for more than fifteen years, through several circuit and power supply upgrades.

The brown panel at the bottom did not need refinishing; I masked it off while working on the brass.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi,

GP49 brings out a good point about sealing any polishing on any PAS faceplate. The clear coat will protect against scratches and seal in your polish job. You should also seal with a clear coat any repainted Dynaco outer cases or tube cages.

A good tip for repainting Dynaco outer cases and tube cages is to first sand out the scratches and repaint with Krylon #4292 which is their brown camouflage paint. The only catch with this paint, whose color is very close to the original "Dynaco brown", is that the finish is ultra-flat. After the paint dries you then clear coat with any "satin" or low gloss finish. I like the Minwax Clear Satin polyurethane clear coat in a spray can. The satin finish is a low gloss clear coat finish and the combined result looks very close to the original Dynaco brown. Both the Krylon #4292 and the Minwax Clear satin are available at most Wal-Marts.

The outer case of the Dynaco FM-3 tuner in the photo below was painted as described above.

Bob

Polishing PAS2 faceplate Dynatunertop
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Great tip...Thanks Bob!
    dixierat

Post by dixierat Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks for your help. Have started cleaning faceplate with steel wool and will seal with clearcoat when finished.A friend gave me the PAS2 with a FM3 and a ST70 instead of putting them in landfill.Will restore all 3 and may have to repaint the ST70 cage. Will use Krylon 4292 and clearcoat.Now have my winter projects.Thanks again for the great info.

Curt
    scott6058

Post by scott6058 Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Nice mention on the Krylon #4292 match.
    Most blems can be worked out with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper but use is wet, or if you want more shine 1500 2000 or 3000 grit is available from your local autobody supply house. 3M makes the best abrasives. Clear it quickly for it will pick finger prints and tarnish rather fast.
    dixierat

Post by dixierat Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Steel wool has worked wonders but I still have a couple of stuborn blemishes on the faceplate.Will try wet/dry sandpaper for final polish before clearcoat.
    howardnair

Post by howardnair Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:33 pm

dixierat-i took my down with 400 wet dry and then finished with 800 it gets a nice shine this way--you can repaint the brown strip at bottom also just mask it off spray lightly -i think i used krylon kona brown fairly close match-then very gently sand the lettered area with 400 or higher and then clear coat
    dixierat

Post by dixierat Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks Howard--- Have just about finished polishing with 600 wet and it looks much much better. Will finish with 800 or higher if I can find it. Maybe auto supply store. Will have to give the brown attention and then will clearcoat. Doing this while waiting on caps from Canada.

Curt
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 am

Those who have used the Krylon brown... does it hide the texture that was part of the original paint? My Mark III cages have a sort of "spattered" look that is most visible on the non perforated sides. I have a pea-sized chip that goes down to bare metal on the top of one cage. That needs to get patched before I re-spray. Anyone have a tip for chip repairs? Did you prime before spraying the Krylon?
    ...j
    howardnair

Post by howardnair Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 am

j beede--a few ways to texture -hold the paint cans far away from your object and don't shake them that well-they spatter when not shaken well-this takes several coats-sort of a overspray technique--or same thing with hammertone paint-then paint over that using distance overspray--if you sand a smooth spot or have a chip --tape that section off from the rest of the piece and texture it first- this will take a little creativity and patience-the last project a dynaco case i think - i used hammertone grey krylon brown and rustoleum dark grey one in flat and one in semigloss -one right after the other several times from a distance---then a satin clear coat a day later-
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:44 am

Use a quick-drying paint such as lacquer, and spray it at a distance, to closely duplicate the kind of texture that was used by various manufacturers over the years. For me the semi-gloss spray cans work well.

A coarser texture may be had by using "splatter paint" from the craft store as an undercoat, and then thinly color-coating it.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Anyone around here old enough to know what a PAS faceplate looked like new from Dyna? I have seen a restored PAS that had been highly polished and then clear coated. Frankly, that wasn't my cup of tea. I am thinking about using Bon Ami or rottenstone to get a uniform, but not mirror polished finish, then clear coating.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:36 pm

It was a brass finish, with a light, horizontal "brushed" grained texture. I refinished mine by rubbing with steel wool (I forget the coarse/fine grade) in straight, horizontal strokes. The brown painted strip at the bottom needs to be protected with tape. Unlike the PAS-3 faceplate with its silkscreened lettering, the PAS-2 had embossed lettering so you won't destroy it with the steel wool.

Scotchbrite® scrubbing pads have been suggested, too. Perhaps some lubrication with a light oil or WD-40 would help.

They did NOT come with a smooth, mirror-like polished finish, nor with a matte finish or a randomly grained one.

You can get brass sheets from the hardware store, if you want to practice first.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Makes sense GP49... Thanks. That is not an easy finish to reproduce but you have given me some ideas to try out. Did you clear coat your faceplate after texturing? Gloss or satin over the graining maybe?
    ...j
    howardnair

Polishing PAS2 faceplate Empty brass face plate

Post by howardnair Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:02 pm

j beede--super fine steelwool should work -that would have 4 zero's or 4 ott it is prononced mmm how would one spell that--use double sided tape to hold faceplate in place --keeps your fingers off of it-- your final strokes you would want to go in one direction-i wrapped my steel wool around a small dowel--satin finish on the clear coat- 400 grit wet/dry automotive sandpaper will also work - i have used both successfully---howie
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Sounds good Howie. I think "0000" as in steel wool is spelled "four aught" which I think is a variation on "four naught". In any case I'll give it a try. I have a vairety of wet/dry paper too in 400/600/800/1000/2000 grit. It sure can't come out looking worse than it does now!
    ...j
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 am

j beede wrote:Makes sense GP49... Thanks. That is not an easy finish to reproduce but you have given me some ideas to try out. Did you clear coat your faceplate after texturing? Gloss or satin over the graining maybe?
    ...j

I clearcoated it, glossy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:12 am