The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
Luddite
anbitet66
Pillo69
jjones3318
kevinmi
nmchiefsfan
quadaptor
Bob Latino
12 posters

Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ...

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ... Empty Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ...

Post by Bob Latino Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:15 pm

One of my audiophile friends mentioned to me a few days ago about cleaning a dusty record with wood glue and even sent me the link to a YouTube video on how to do it. I haven't tried this yet but I do have a few older records from the 1960's that do seem to have a few "snap, crackles and pops" even after repeated cleanings. If I do try this, it will probably be on a record that is not one of my favorites in case I screw it up. If any of you do try this, let us know how it works out ? Video below ..

Bob

quadaptor
    quadaptor

Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ... Empty Re: Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ...

Post by quadaptor Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Hard to say. There was a convenient screen-wipe right before the play back demo in which pretty much anything could have happened - though it does look like fun!

Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ... Empty Re: Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ...

Post by Guest Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:14 pm

I would be extremely careful using this method - you could end up in a very sticky situation! affraid
    nmchiefsfan

Post by nmchiefsfan Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:17 am

This video wasn't originally posted to youtube on April 1st was it?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:45 am

No - This is not an April Fool's joke. I went up on Youtube and found about a dozen videos on "Cleaning your records with wood glue". Below is a two part video from another source ...

Bob

kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 am

I've seen that before, but never tried it it. It would be good if you wanted to get a good copy of the vinyl by recording it to CD. Another method I've used to get a good copy is to "wet" the whole lp with a record cleaning solution and play while wet. This is only a one time deal to get a recording of a otherwise unplayable album, because it will ruin the album somehow.
    jjones3318
    jjones3318

Post by jjones3318 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:08 pm

There's a sticky in the AK Turntable forum on the method - started in 2007. I haven't tried it yet, but do have some great candidates for it.

Pillo69
    Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:12 pm

I read once in a museum of ancient music that drives the problem is due to loss of varnish originally have.
    One solution offered is sprayed with silicone spray. I've tried with a disc with much noise and improved by 50%, the truth nor does wonders, but can be heard.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:26 am

Has anyone tried this (link below)?

http://www.amazon.com/IN-THE-GROOVE-RECORD-CLEANER/dp/B004MG9YYQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357104060&sr=8-7&keywords=record+cleaners

Or, perhaps even the garden variety "Schticky" as advertised on TV. Seems like those may yield a similar result to the "wood glue" method, but with a much simpler procedure.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    william abbott

Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ... Empty Cleaning with Glue

Post by william abbott Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I have tried this. Heard about it 2 years ago. Know a guy who does it regularly to old jazz and Big Band LPs. I did it to half of one side of a 45. An improvement in pops on the clean half as the record rotated.
    --Do not use Titebond I !!! It dries crystal hard.
    --Use Titebond II or Elmers. They dry leathery.
    --When you peel it you generate a large static charge on the record which sucks the dust in the air right to it. In winter
    you can do it in a bathroom with the air steamed up to dissipate the static.
    --Do not do this to a shellac (lacquer) record, like old Edison discs.
    --Don't get it on the paper label.

Bo Glue! (A University of Michigan joke.)
    Spreadcom

Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ... Empty Just Glued My Broken Doors Album!

Post by Spreadcom Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:12 pm

I'd recently heard somewhere that someone used wood glue to clean an album. Seemed like a pretty cool trick. I've got fond memories of peeling Elmer's Glue "skin" off my hands as a kid.

And... I have this newly acquired 2nd hand Doors album. Looks great, sounds horrible. Even after a hand washing, it just sounded thin, noisy, sibilant... The perfect test subject.

So without all the usual research, I grabbed my Elmer's Glue All, and poured about 1 1/2 ounces onto side one. I used my finger tip to gently and evenly spread it around. About two and a half hours later I peeled it off. Came right off in one piece. I gently wiped the surface with a micro fiber cloth, placed it on my platter, and hit it with the carbon fiber brush to help control static.

I'm impressed. This piece of vinyl which was headed for recycling, has now found a place in my modest collection. The background noise was greatly reduced. The overall sound quality was greatly improved. It clearly went from unacceptable to very good. Side one ends with "Riders On The Storm" Ahh, the sound of rain! Which reminds me, gotta do side two!
    Cleaning a vinyl record with wood glue - video ... Albumglue1
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:05 am

I used Gorilla wood glue and restored some very dirty records. Be careful though because if you leave the glue on too long it will become impossible to remove. I ruined 2 records that way. Fortunately they were replaceable.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 am

Saw that video years ago but never tried it, as I don't have a spare turntable to scramble as is advised.
    If I've got my chemistry right, it's the latex in the glue that sucks the dirt out. The process requires a couple of hours per side of each LP, during which you're basically and very carefully watching paint almost dry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:24 pm