The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Love Tubes

NuttyLemur

Love Tubes Empty Love Tubes

Post by NuttyLemur Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:14 am

The only thing good from Star Wars phantom menace was the music. So I bought  the vinyl, total disappointment. On the home receiver it was dull flat and lifless, But on the st70 it sounds amazing!

Thank god for magic light bulbs that make music!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Love Tubes Empty Re: Love Tubes

Post by sKiZo Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:15 pm

So, what are you using for a receiver? Inquiring minds need to know. tongue 

I'm currently building an ST-120 (and certainly taking my sweet time about it) to maybe replace my McIntosh MC2205, and hope to be pleasantly surprised. It's a high end solid state amp that's been noted for it's tube like sound, and has been keeping me smiling for 30+ years when I bought it new, but it IS getting a bit long in the tooth. That will be my next build project.

While on the subject, what are you using to drive the amp? I've always been a quad kinda guy and have been feeding the MC2205 with the front channel outputs on those from the beginning. My old QR Sansui's had pre out, which was nice, but it works just as well just splitting the signal from a tape loop.

Love Tubes Tapeloop-mc2205

I'll be doing the same with the ST-120, more or less. Difference will be that I'm adding an extra set of input jacks to a custom case for that, and will bridge them internally to eliminate the external "Y adapters.

Anyway ... the ST-120 has some mighty big shoes to fill. Let the battle begin! cheers
    NuttyLemur

Post by NuttyLemur Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:35 pm

I use just a plain Jane onkyo receiver, unfortunately I still have to use it as my phono stage also.

So many phono / pre-amps I just don't know where to start, but I am already this happy so I can't wait to get my pre-amp.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:03 pm

I've gone with an outboard phono stage ... the Art DJ-PRE II does a real impressive job, and breaking it out from the receiver also allows me to put my dbx SNR noise reduction box in the loop. Does a right nice job of cleaning up the noise floor when ripping vinyl to digital.

PS ... my favorite soundtrack currently is Sucker Punch ... that's got some killer tracks on it - lot of really clever remixes of the old classics, along with the new.

Sample Tracks Here

Bjork's Army of Me will certainly test your system ... Love is the Drug is just plain strange, but I like it!
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:26 pm

NuttyLemur wrote:The only thing good from Star Wars phantom menace was the music. So I bought  the vinyl, total disappointment. On the home receiver it was dull flat and lifless, But on the st70 it sounds amazing!

Thank god for magic light bulbs that make music!

You do know that once you go to the TUBE There's no turning back. Seriously, I love hearing stories like this.
    ArlanB
    ArlanB

Post by ArlanB Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 pm

I have been lurking around the forum about four years now not participating much, just enjoying the subjects/topics regarding the mutual interest in valve based stereo.  I built one of Bobs first VTA ST120 kits and it is now five years old this month.  I just want say that I have never regretted my choice of the ST120.  It has exceeded all my expectations and to those that are in the middle of construction or contemplating investing in one, I say "You Will Not Regret It".   I drive my VAT ST120 with a upgraded PAT4 that I picked up several years ago from a fellow that rebuilds Dynaco equipment and the ST120 drives a pair of ESS Heil AMT10b speakers.  Believe it or not this combination makes great music. About three years ago I went back to totally relying on vinyl for my music using a Dual 1219/Shure M97xE and a Technics SL-7/Ortofon TM14. My library of CDs's are collecting dust now.  I use a Heathkit AJ41 tuner that I built in 1964.  Still works great, however seldom used.   I do have solid state, Sansui QRX3500 that I purchased new, sitting there looking pretty but unused.   Has a power supply problem that introduces a loud low frequency thump at varying intervals in all four channels at the same time causing total washout of music then music returns until the next thump.  Not really missed though.  Someday I might find someone to repair it.

Regards,
    ArlanB
    NuttyLemur

Post by NuttyLemur Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:28 am

I think I am going to try to build one of the st120 amps next and leave the st70 stock. I am running some magnepans and would love to kick up the volume a touch. I have always thought about doing the monoblock route too.

HEY wait a minute! I am addicted.
    pjp3
    pjp3

Post by pjp3 Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:32 am

It happens quickly...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 pm