The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Good values in audio today - Add yours ...

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Good values in audio today - Add yours ... Empty Good values in audio today - Add yours ...

Post by Bob Latino Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:47 pm

There is a thread on the forum about "audio voodoo" and the financial rip-offs that some sellers attempt to perpetrate on us audiophiles (or is it "audiophools"- lol). What audio product have you personally used which you feel is a good value in audio today?

I'll start it off with 3 companies that I have dealt with and have personally used products from whose products are priced fairly for what you get.

1. Tyler Acoustics - This is a high end speaker company with "mid-end" pricing mainly because there is no middleman. Tyler Lashbrook, the owner, sells only though the internet and has no dealer network. He uses quality Seas and ScanSpeak drivers. I have two sets of his speakers. He also usually answers his own phone if you call there to him in Owensboro, KY.

http://www.tyleracoustics.com/

2. Signal Cable - Run by Frank Dais, a real nice guy, who offers high quality speaker and interconnect cables. I have about 4 sets of Frank's speaker cables, interconnect cables and power cords in various systems in my home. Well made cables and relatively inexpensive ...

http://www.signalcable.com/

3. Blue Jeans Cables - Also quality cables at reasonable prices. You can also buy Belden and Canare speaker wire by the foot here and add your own connectors if you want. I use their Canare 4S11 speaker wire which has four separate internal wires. You can bi-wire very easily with this cable.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Bob
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Good values in audio today - Add yours ... Empty Re: Good values in audio today - Add yours ...

Post by Tube Nube Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, Bob.

For (part of) a digital source, I'm using a Monica 3 DAC from diyParadise. This particular product is not actually DIY, but comes ready to go. This is a NOS (non-oversampling) unit, and was reviewed favorably against much more expensive units. It really is a beautiful sounding unit, and it was not expensive.

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13

The owner/designer has a quirky sense of humor, is a nice fellow, and provides good, rapid support through email and his own forum.

I use mine in conjunction with a SqueezeBox.

Good values in audio today - Add yours ... Empty Re: Good values in audio today - Add yours ...

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:54 pm

I have a phono preamp w/ volume control from Mapletree Audio Design which I really like. The unit is tubed, has a separate power supply, is all point to point wired by the owner and is realistically priced. I paid about $750 for it a few years ago. The owner of the company is a retired electronics professor and is wonderful to deal with. He is not out to gouge the consumer and doesn't pay much attention to voodoo. Good solid engineering from someone who is qualified and sensible. He does offer Blackgate caps and DACT volume pots for those who want them, but in discussion with Dr. Lloyd (owner), he doesn't seem to see the merit.
    hup_d_dup

Post by hup_d_dup Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:15 am

I bought a passive preamp from Luminous Audio for $168. It sounds astonishingly good, better than the much more expensive preamp it replaced. Only downside is the lack of controls and inputs (only has volume control and one input ... that's it!) but at this low price and high quality I can live with that.
    kevco
    kevco

Post by kevco Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:27 pm

As I have mentioned before in this forum, I love my Aric 3.6 tube preamp! It uses 2 12AU7's and features an ALPS volume pot and switching for three line level components. It also has an output level adjustment pot on the rear allowing you to use 12AT7, 12AX7 or possibly a couple of other dual triodes. It is very tube dependent and is great for tube rollers. If you put a lousy tube in it, it sounds lousy, but good quality tubes offer unlimited sound variations. Combined with my ST70, I have an all tube system that is compact yet potent. I paid $200 for a slightly used one but they are fairly priced new.
    http://www.aricaudiosystems.com/product.sc?productId=13

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 am