The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

PAS Filament current

Scot_B

PAS Filament current

Post by Scot_B on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:05 pm

I see that I can save on current consumed by switching up to the LED mod vs the standard bulb. Seems like a good move rather than replacing the old burned out bulb.  This has me thinking,  I don’t use the phono or tape inputs that belong to the PC-6 card, could I get away with pulling the 12AX7’s on it without modifying the PAS and achieve even better filament current savings and not adversely affect the line card performance ?

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: PAS Filament current

Post by Bob Latino on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:22 pm

You could pull those 12AX7 tubes on the phono board - BUT - then the other two line stage 12AX7's would be working at somewhat higher voltages which *could* shorten their life. What I might do is put a couple of cheapie Chinese 12AX7's on the phono board and save the better (Telefunken original ?) 12AX7's that are on the phono board now.

Bob

PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:09 pm

As I recall, if you pull the phono board tubes, you'll need to add a ground reference to the tubes on the line card at eyelet 20.

There's another issue.  If you remove the tubes from the phono board and replace the pilot lamp with a diode, yes, the B+ will be higher - closer to or possibly exceeding the voltage rating of the quad cap.

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scot_B

Post by Scot_B on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Seemed like a good idea... I think I'll leave the tubes alone, and just replace the burned out bulb with the LED kit...

Thanks for the responses

Scot

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:20 am

Current date/time is Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:20 am