The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Transformer Temperature

Reid

Transformer Temperature Empty Transformer Temperature

Post by Reid Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Question: I have a ST120 tube amplifier. Today after running for 5-6 hours I decided to measure the temperature of the transformer. The temp was 135. Is this normal? It was hot but I could touch it for a couple of seconds.

Great forum and Thanks to Bob for all of your help. Smile
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Transformer Temperature Empty Re: Transformer Temperature

Post by Bob Latino Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:24 am

Reid wrote:Happy Holidays to everyone.

Question: I have a ST120 tube amplifier. Today after running for 5-6 hours I decided to measure the temperature of the transformer. The temp was 135. Is this normal? It was hot but I could touch it for a couple of seconds.

Great forum and Thanks to Bob for all of your help. Smile

Hi Reid,

The ST-120 will run a little hotter than an ST-70 because it is drawing about 35% more current than an ST-70. The actual temperature of the power transformer will depend on the amount of air circulation and the ambient room temperature. What you measure is about the same as what I measure here for my ST-120 and is normal for this amp and is no cause for concern.

To offset somewhat the higher current draw, the lamination stack on the ST-120's power transformer is about 2.7 inches high. On a stock ST-70 it is about 1.5 to 1.6 inches. The ST-120 has about 1.1 inch more "iron" (actually M6 silicon steel) which is about 68% more steel in the stack than a stock ST-70. This larger heat sink keeps temperatures of the ST-120's power transformer within manageable limits.

Bob

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:47 am