The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Bob's M125 and my spiral bass horns

carpenter

Bob's M125 and my spiral bass horns Empty Bob's M125 and my spiral bass horns

Post by carpenter Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but thought I'd take a moment to share my success with Bob's M-125 monoblock kit. I purchased a pair with Sovtek tubes and with a week of spare time, voila', I had an operational set of subwoofer amps to drive my monster, spiral bass horns.

My initial impression was favorable, but I couldn't get over the roundness of the bass notes. I expect kick drums to have an edge and plenty of slam. It took a while for me to sort out the problem, I've even ordered the WZ68 rectifiers and 12BH7 tubes, hoping for improvement, but in the end I remembered that Bob's amp's don't invert phase as do most amplifiers. My system is tri-amped and the mid-bass amp inverts, after flipping the M-125's banana jacks over to reverse the phase, the slam came back--in spades! This is something to remember, Dynaco fans.

Just for kicks, go to my website to see the spiral bass horns (and many other horns) I hope you enjoy the pics.

John Inlow
    Inlow Sound
    www.inlowsound.com
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Bob's M125 and my spiral bass horns Empty Re: Bob's M125 and my spiral bass horns

Post by Bob Latino Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:24 pm

I urge everyone to go to John's web site and check out the construction of these very unique spiral bass horns. I have never seen a BASS speaker like this before. Usually bass speakers are sub-woofers or some "big-mutha" 15+ inch dynamic speaker. Check out the photos near the bottom of John's spiral bass horn web page on the "fabrication" of his spiral bass horns.

http://inlowsound.weebly.com/125-watt-kt88-tube-amplifier.html

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
    carpenter

Bob's M125 and my spiral bass horns Empty Re: Bob's M125 and my spiral bass horns

Post by carpenter Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Bob, it's too bad we're not neighbors. I think you'd get a kick out of my system. Come to think of it, I'm selling a full blown system to someone in your neck of the woods. He lives in Manhattan. When I get it up and running, I'll have to have you over for an audition/listening session.

John

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 pm

DAMN!...them things are out of this world!!!!!!
    carpenter

Post by carpenter Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:01 pm

MontanaWay wrote:DAMN!...them things are out of this world!!!!!!

Can you believe that my wife is OK with me building these things? She's a rare breed of woman!!  queen

They are the best sounding bass horns I've ever heard. Most bass horn can hit a low note, but they distort. These horns are smooth as a Cadillac.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 am