The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
j beede
DynakitParts
6 posters

New ST-70 has an odor

Jeff V.

New ST-70 has an odor Empty New ST-70 has an odor

Post by Jeff V. Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Just picked up what looks like a new ST-70. It was built from a Dynakit Parts kit. After running it for a little while I noticed a strong smell coming from the amp. Kind of like an electrical smell. I checked the bias and it was a bit high at 1.65. I wouldn't think this would cause the odor. Again, it looks new & I don't know the hours on the amp. Is this normal? Are there some voltages I should check? Thanks!

-Jeff
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

New ST-70 has an odor Empty New ST-70

Post by DynakitParts Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Jeff..
    By chance, would you have a Serial Number for this kit?

This would be stamped on the manual front cover and also on the sales receipt assuming you received these with the amp.

As far as the smell...Bias setting as a you stated was much too high although it's hard to say if this was the cause. I would go through a voltage test comparing these to the manual voltage specs. I would also double check the builder's wiring. Aside from the odor....Does the amplifier operate and sound OK to you?

Kevin @ Dynakit
    j beede
    j beede

New ST-70 has an odor Empty Re: New ST-70 has an odor

Post by j beede Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Any chance that the power transformer has recently been re-painted and you are smelling solvents outgassing from partially cured paint?
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 pm

DynakitParts wrote:Hi Jeff..
             By chance, would you have a Serial Number for this kit?

This would be stamped on the manual front cover and also on the sales receipt assuming you received these with the amp.

As far as the smell...Bias setting as a you stated was much too high although it's hard to say if this was the cause. I would go through a voltage test comparing these to the manual voltage specs. I would also double check the builder's wiring. Aside from the odor....Does the amplifier operate and sound OK to you?

Kevin @ Dynakit

Kevin,

unfortunately I did not get the manual or receipt.  Seller says it was built 5 months ago.  It does sound good.  Can I check the build against the Dynaco ST-70 manual?  The build looks pretty good but I'll check everything out.  Thanks!

Jeff
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:04 pm

j beede wrote:Any chance that the power transformer has recently been re-painted and you are smelling solvents outgassing from partially cured paint?

I believe the transformers are new.  Thanks.

-Jeff
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

New ST-70 has an odor Empty ST-70 Odor

Post by DynakitParts Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:23 am

Jeff,
    Send me an email to: dynakitparts@aol.com and I will send you back a wiring pictorial of our ST-70. It is slightly different than the original.

Did you buy this amplifier from someone in Texas?

Kevin

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:30 pm

if at all possible, please take a nice in focus shot of the underside/inside of the amp, it will give us a much better idea of what we are talking about and may help us in figuring this out.
    As Kevin also pointed out, that 1.65V BIAS is too high as well.
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:56 pm

MontanaWay wrote:if at all possible, please take a nice in focus shot of the underside/inside of the amp, it will give us a much better idea of what we are talking about and may help us in figuring this out.
    As Kevin also pointed out, that 1.65V BIAS is too high as well.

I lowered the bias. I wonder if the tubes were run too hot for a while it might have caused the smell. Here is the best photos I have right now. Thanks for your help!

New ST-70 has an odor Image15
    New ST-70 has an odor Image16

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 pm

I cannot see anything obvious wrong from the photo's. As j beede suggested, the power transformer does get quite warm and any new paint, may just give off some odor for a little while.
    Tubes too get hot, upwards of 300F and more.
    Important thing is get that BIAS voltage down to about 1.00VDC. What output tubes are you running? If they are KT88 or 6550, 1.00VDC is good, if they are EL34, get it down to 0.80VDC per side.
    If you still think things are not right, check B+ voltage, should be between 370 and 410 VDC.
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:26 pm

MontanaWay wrote:I cannot see anything obvious wrong from the photo's. As j beede suggested, the power transformer does get quite warm and any new paint, may just give off some odor for a little while.
    Tubes too get hot, upwards of 300F and more.
    Important thing is get that BIAS voltage down to about 1.00VDC. What output tubes are you running? If they are KT88 or 6550, 1.00VDC is good, if they are EL34, get it down to 0.80VDC per side.
    If you still think things are not right, check B+ voltage, should be between 370 and 410 VDC.

Thanks so much. I'm currently running EL34 so I will drop the voltage as recommended. Could have been running way too hot!

Cheers
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:39 pm

After lowering the bias the smell less smelly, the chassis not as hot & the amp sounds better!  Thanks for all the help!  I think the amp was running too hot causing the issues.  With the SP14 sounds great!

Cheers

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Jeff V. wrote:After lowering the bias the smell less smelly, the chassis not as hot & the amp sounds better!  Thanks for all the help!  I think the amp was running too hot causing the issues.  With the SP14 sounds great!

Cheers

thats great news, glad it seems to be all sorted out for you! Enjoy some really nice sounding music.
    For future reference, maybe down the track you may wish to consider upgrading to the VTA driver board, I am sure it will sound better again, and, BIAS is split up into all four power tubes, this way, you can adjust the BIAS for each power tube individually, allowing for and 'correcting' any variations in each power tube.
    You will need to do some minor re wiring and add 10OHM 2W BIAS resistors to each power tube socket, all this is pretty straight forward and full instructions are available from Tubes4Hifi when you purchase the VTA driver board upgrade.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Jeff V. wrote:After lowering the bias the smell less smelly, the chassis not as hot & the amp sounds better!  Thanks for all the help!  I think the amp was running too hot causing the issues.  With the SP14 sounds great!

Cheers

New oil capacitors will smell too, while they're burning in.
    nmchiefsfan

Post by nmchiefsfan Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:54 am

Sometimes items that once got hot, or their neighbors will smell for a while, even though everything is okay. That burning smell seems to get into everything.
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:59 pm

deepee99 wrote:

Cheers

New oil capacitors will smell too, while they're burning in.

Kevin said he believed the parts are a 2005 vintage.  The amp looks brand new so I'm not sure if it was recently built or well taken care of.
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:03 pm

nmchiefsfan wrote:
    Sometimes items that once got hot, or their neighbors will smell for a while, even though everything is okay.  That burning smell seems to get into everything.  

A possibility.  I know with the tubes being over biased they were ultra-hot.  Still a bit of smell but not as bad.  I need to check the B+ voltage to make sure it's within spec.  Since lowering the bias the chassis is not as hot, but between the El34's it quite hot.  This could be normal.  Thanks.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:09 pm

tubes can and do get hot! Not sure about the EL34, have not run a set for months now, but say KT88's and KT120's, I see temps of 340F when I push them hard, especially the rear ones since they are closer to the transformers.
    Average be in the high 200's.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 am

new amp smell, way kind of different than new car smell . . . usually the paint and varnish on the transformers . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:23 pm