The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Hello & question: Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor

stubbyfex

Hello & question:  Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor Empty Hello & question: Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor

Post by stubbyfex Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Hello! Greetings from the Mile-High-City!
    I recently built a VTA ST-70.  Stock kit, JJ E34L matched tubes and three 6189 NOS GE Preamp tubes.
    The bias is fine, .4vdc and the sound is Incredible!  BUT it has quite an odor.  I thought it was the paper/plastic  labels on the tubes (I've had them smell bad in the past with guitar amps).
    I removed them and the glue residue too.  Still puts out a strong odor.  I would suspect the power transformer coatings or something, except all the voltages are fine, and the amp sounds very good.
    I've run it for three to four hours a day for perhaps three days now.
    It still puts off an odor that my wife can not tolerate!  Any thoughts?  (I do have a Mark V gas mask from my Navy days still!)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Hello & question:  Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor Empty Re: Hello & question: Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor

Post by Bob Latino Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:33 pm

stubbyfex wrote:Hello! Greetings from the Mile-High-City!
    I recently built a VTA ST-70.  Stock kit, JJ E34L matched tubes and three 6189 NOS GE Preamp tubes.
    The bias is fine, .4vdc and the sound is Incredible!  BUT it has quite an odor.  I thought it was the paper/plastic  labels on the tubes (I've had them smell bad in the past with guitar amps).
    I removed them and the glue residue too.  Still puts out a strong odor.  I would suspect the power transformer coatings or something, except all the voltages are fine, and the amp sounds very good.
    I've run it for three to four hours a day for perhaps three days now.
    It still puts off an odor that my wife can not tolerate!  Any thoughts?  (I do have a Mark V gas mask from my Navy days still!)

This is probably the paint curing on the transformers .. The odor will get less and less in time and eventually go away .. What you are experiencing is similar to a "new car smell".

Bob

solderblob likes this post

stubbyfex

Hello & question:  Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor Empty RE: Paint curing

Post by stubbyfex Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:26 pm

I did not apply any paint to the bell housings. The manufacturer perhaps dipped the windings in something to seal them.
    I'll give it some time.
    Very nice kit! Also perfectly accurate build sheet too! I'm very happy with the sound too! Thanks again.

Sponsored content

Hello & question:  Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor Empty Re: Hello & question: Newly built VTA ST-70 Odor

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:54 pm