The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info.

Jhoman
    Jhoman

Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info. Empty Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info.

Post by Jhoman Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm

I have bought an ST-120 that was traded in at NOS Valves. It was almost new and was just what I wanted. Can someone give me all the info I need to properly use this amp.

I am very excited and can't wait to get this amp set up. I have ordered Mullard CV4024's & Ruby KT88SRT's with it. I am going to try the tube rectifier with it and order a Weber copper cap for back up.

Craig at NOS Valves said that the tube rectifier sounded better and with my Cornwalls I wouldn't be pushing the 120 too hard.

I'm new to tubes and have been working with what I have read and with Craig's advice.

thanks

Jeff
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info. Empty Re: Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info.

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:23 am

Hi Jeff,

Craig has given you good advice. Since you have efficient Cornwall's and won't be driving the amp too hard, a tube GZ34 rectifier will work just fine. If you had less efficient speakers like Magnepan's or Martin Logan's I would recommend the Weber WZ68 Copper Cap in the rectifier socket. The Weber can provide more current at higher volume levels than any tube rectifier and will work better in the ST-120 if you have less efficient speakers.

Bob
    Jhoman
    Jhoman

Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info. Empty Re: Bought a Latino ST-120 and need info.

Post by Jhoman Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:29 am

Bob Latino wrote:Hi Jeff,

Craig has given you good advice. Since you have efficient Cornwall's and won't be driving the amp too hard, a tube GZ34 rectifier will work just fine. If you had less efficient speakers like Magnepan's or Martin Logan's I would recommend the Weber WZ68 Copper Cap in the rectifier socket. The Weber can provide more current at higher volume levels than any tube rectifier and will work better in the ST-120 if you have less efficient speakers.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Can you get me info such as owners manual and bias adjustment procedures and numbers?

Thanks Jeff
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 am

Jhoman wrote:
    Bob Latino wrote:Hi Jeff,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Can you get me info such as owners manual and bias adjustment procedures and numbers?

Thanks Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just send me your actual Email address and I can send you a copy of the ST-120 owners manual as an attached file to an Email.

Bob
    Jhoman
    Jhoman

Post by Jhoman Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Bob, I just wanted to thank you for your help with this. It is very nice to have someone like yourself that cares enough to help all of us learn and understand your amps. I am very impressed and I have not even heard the amp.

Thanks for being there for us and supporting your product!

Jeff Homan
    scott6058

Post by scott6058 Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:55 pm

Same applies Bob

Wish you and yours a safe and great 2010.

I found a ST-35 so we will have some fun again.

Best regards Scott

Last edited by scott6058 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Jhoman
    Jhoman

Post by Jhoman Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Very Happy Well, I got my ST120 today, it sounds better than I thought it would, it really makes my Cornwall's sing! Very nice sound stage, super defined and more power than I will ever need. I'm very impressed, the Ruby KT88STRs really sound good with the Mullard 4024s. Jazz and acoustics are transparent, vocals have a pure presence.

Thanks Bob for a nice amp!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am