The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Lets talk about pot values for the SP-9

spin

Lets talk about pot values for the SP-9

Post by spin on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Tommy. I'm new around here, but have been trolling for a couple weeks now. I have recently decided to get back to my 'roots', so to speak, and build a hi-fi system. After a bit of research and some recommendations, I came across tubes4hifi. Roy was beyond helpful and super accommodating with my order. I ordered an SP-9 (I'm afraid to give up tone control, baby steps, I'll build more), a PH-14 phono preamp, and a pair of mk3's. My order came in two shipments and Roy mistakenly sent me two parts kits for the SP-9. The parts kits were identical other than the fact I received a 100ka in one and a 250ka volume pot in the other. Before I send one of these bags back, I was wondering which would best suit my application. Most of the information I was able to gather points to using the 100k, but I wanted to be sure. I would like to use the 250k just for the fact that the PCB has extra ground pads that fit the shielded wire I plan to use perfectly. My main source is going to be the PH-14, and will be my only source for the time being.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'll have quite a few more questions along the course of this build I am sure. I hope you will forgive my lack of Hi-Fi knowledge, we've all got to start somewhere. I can, however, solder pretty darn well, and I've built quite a few devices, almost all pertaining to guitar. I'm looking forward to this project and future projects in hi-fi audio.

Here is a 100w 2 channel optically switched high gain guitar amp I built based on the schematic of the Soldano SLO 100.

Facebook of my small DIY pedal company

Last edited by spin on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

DynakitParts
    Admin

Re: Lets talk about pot values for the SP-9

Post by DynakitParts on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Tommy,
    Nice workmanship....What output tubes are you using with your guitar amp....6L6's ?

By the way...Welcome to our Forum.

Kevin

spin

Post by spin on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I am using JJ 6l6 tubes in that amp.

I opted to go with 100k volume pot for the SP-9 build. I ordered a 'make before break' rotary switch and the resistors to build a ladder attenuator.

My next question is about the balance control. I have enough parts to build a stepped attenuator for this as well. A balance pot is completely new to me since I pretty much deal only in mono devices. Am I correct in assuming that the balance pot is two 'W' taper pots wired inversely?

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:37 pm

spin wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Tommy. I'm new around here, but have been trolling for a couple weeks now. I have recently decided to get back to my 'roots', so to speak, and build a hi-fi system. After a bit of research and some recommendations, I came across tubes4hifi. Roy was beyond helpful and super accommodating with my order. I ordered an SP-9 (I'm afraid to give up tone control, baby steps, I'll build more), a PH-14 phono preamp, and a pair of mk3's. My order came in two shipments and Roy mistakenly sent me two parts kits for the SP-9. The parts kits were identical other than the fact I received a 100ka in one and a 250ka volume pot in the other. Before I send one of these bags back, I was wondering which would best suit my application. Most of the information I was able to gather points to using the 100k, but I wanted to be sure. I would like to use the 250k just for the fact that the PCB has extra ground pads that fit the shielded wire I plan to use perfectly. My main source is going to be the PH-14, and will be my only source for the time being.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'll have quite a few more questions along the course of this build I am sure. I hope you will forgive my lack of Hi-Fi knowledge, we've all got to start somewhere. I can, however, solder pretty darn well, and I've built quite a few devices, almost all pertaining to guitar. I'm looking forward to this project and future projects in hi-fi audio.

Here is a 100w 2 channel optically switched high gain guitar amp I built based on the schematic of the Soldano SLO 100.

Facebook of my small DIY pedal company

WOW!...that is AMAZINGLY clean and neat wiring!!! WELL DONE!!!!!!

TMadden

Post by TMadden on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 am

spin wrote:Thanks! Yeah, I am using JJ 6l6 tubes in that amp.

I opted to go with 100k volume pot for the SP-9 build. I ordered a 'make before break' rotary switch and the resistors to build a ladder attenuator.

My next question is about the balance control. I have enough parts to build a stepped attenuator for this as well. A balance pot is completely new to me since I pretty much deal only in mono devices. Am I correct in assuming that the balance pot is two 'W' taper pots wired inversely?

Fantastic work on the guitar amp! The ALPS balance control normally used in the SP9 has a MN taper. http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/PDF/Potentiometer/TAPER.PDF

spin

Post by spin on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:47 am

So at center detent, both channels are at max. And it looks like linear taper to ground with a little knee. That's how I first pictured it in my mind. I did find this image when looking into it the other day:

This is where I got the idea of two 'W' pots wired inverse to each other. At center detent it is passing 90% of each channel. My logic thinks that the 100% at center would be the better way to go. But something is telling me that the 'W' taper configuration would 'feel' better. Has anyone explored this before?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:48 pm

Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:48 pm