The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
sKiZo
arledgsc
6 posters

Best Sound System Tweak Ever !!

arledgsc
    arledgsc

Best Sound System Tweak Ever !! Empty Best Sound System Tweak Ever !!

Post by arledgsc Sat May 14, 2016 1:36 pm

I went to the doctor the other day about my hearing.  I was thinking the day had come, getting old, and probably have nerve damage.  Pure tones had distortion in my left ear and lately felt like I went swimming with water still in my ears.  Hard for me make out conversations in crowded restaurants.  Feeling pity I imagined listening to my sound system through hearing aids.  What a bummer thought!

The doctor had a look at the ear canal and exclaimed "My gosh, you have the most ear wax build up I have ever seen!".   I said to the doctor that you looked at my ears six months prior and said they looked OK!!  A nurse spent 1/2 hour irrigating the ear canals and pulled our near perfect ear wax molds of the canals.  After treatment and the water removed I immediately noticed better high frequency response and directional spacial cues.  Wadding up a piece paper no longer sounded dull but crisp and crackly.  The "cotton" in my ears was removed.  I drove like a bat-outta-hell home from the doctor's office and turned on the sound system.   Ahh!  I have been missing a lot of sound quality and its like I have a new sound system!   And no more distortion on pure tones!

So from now on with doctor visits a thorough examination of the ears is a priority requirement.  Get those ears inspected and tuned up..
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Best Sound System Tweak Ever !! Empty Re: Best Sound System Tweak Ever !!

Post by sKiZo Sat May 14, 2016 1:41 pm

So, I'm thinking hitting your ears with a heat gun daily would be a bad thing ...

I'm wondering what you're doing to get that sort of build up? Ear wax IS useful and the body's way of protecting itself from irritants. Think of what's possibly changed in your environment that could case overproduction ...

Maybe you're listening to too much Justin Beiber? clown
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sat May 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Yep, zapped by the latest Bieber songs and nature's protection. The Lord works in mysterious ways for sure!

I was sick with the flu several months prior. That may have had something to do with it. The doctor said not clean your ears with Q-tips as that method just pushes wax back toward the eardrum. I tried first the home treatment with Murine wax remover and the supplied water squirt bottle. The secret with irrigation is to not spare the water volume. It gets really loud but keep it up. The doctor's hefty rig got really loud when flushing. I think all I did in my timid attempt was melt the abundant wax forming larger wax plugs and making the problem worse. Not knowing what was the cause I expected the worse.
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Sat May 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Hell...I just purchased a dremel for cleaning tube pins I bet it would have done a hell of a job on your organic listening system.
    and yes I accept PayPal
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Best Sound System Tweak Ever !! 4524234540_dd4d631ef5_z

Or just chuck up a pipe cleaner with D5 onnit ... probably best to keep the rpm's down to maybe 500 at most.

I was told a few drops of hydrogen peroxide worked nice ... and it certainly does loosen up the wax and drains it out, but ... Come to find out, it also irritates the skin and triggers a defensive reaction, causing MORE wax production.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sat May 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Tried hydrogen peroxide one time brings a new meaning to "Snap Crackle & Pop" Shocked
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat May 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Debrox crackles too, but is supposed to be less irritating to the skin. That uses a milder peroxide compound.

Problem being, it doesn't have much of a shelf life once you crack the bottle open. You can tell when you put some in and it just sits there sounding stoopid ...

Best Sound System Tweak Ever !! Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbVxL2tBKpOhU7BAlrZ4gJi45BumvmG9y9KDTW-FLhUFIIpdy9lQ
    .. Just ain't got it in me since Pop died ..
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun May 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Best Sound System Tweak Ever !! Cleaning-the-heads
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sun May 15, 2016 1:44 pm

You guys are funny! I'm glad I didn't have terminal cancer!
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Sun May 15, 2016 1:50 pm

arledgsc wrote:You guys are funny!  I'm glad I didn't have terminal cancer!  

Airport jokes. That's your cue, Dave.
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 am

Airport jokes?
    Surely you jest.
    Don't call me Shirley.
    Very Happy

FWIW - in the shower, turn your head sideways so your ear fills up with water.
    Tug the earlobe and the water will fill the entire ear canal, you'll hear it hit your eardrum.
    Repeat on the other side and pull the earlobe with ear facing down, or shake your head to clear the water out.

Keeps the wax soft and moving.
    Works for me.

Tom

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 am