The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
Ernstmach
cci1492
arledgsc
Gregg R.
Peter W.
peterh
Kentley
Bob Latino
12 posters

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art ..

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art .. Empty 10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art ..

Post by Bob Latino Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 am

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art .. 01-vac-statement-450-amplifier

Check out the Robb report on what tube amps he considers "are essentially works of art". Most of these amps are well north of $25K as you might expect. Maybe fun to see what those with big bucks are buying for their music systems. The VAC statement 450 (225 WPC) pictured above is $45,000. Link to the start of the slide show at the link below ..

VAC Statement 450

Bob

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art .. Empty Re: 10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art ..

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:05 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kentley
    Kentley

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art .. Empty Re: 10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art ..

Post by Kentley Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:35 am

Number 3 resembles something I saw behind the counter at Starbucks. Shocked
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:45 am

I find AR D76 much more beautyful then these "wanna-look-impressing" things.
    For me the output delivered to speakers is what it's all about. If i want artworks i'll
    buy a artwork and nail it to a wall somewhere.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:47 am

Yikes!

$90K! for! Stereo!

Is anyone here willing to take a stab at how one crams $45,000 worth of "stuff" in a box of that nature - that is, without using the term: Obscene Profit Margin.
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art .. Empty 10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art ..

Post by Gregg R. Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:49 am

I guess nothing succeeds like excess!

I prefer my hand-built Bob Latino VTA ST-70. Nothing more than what is needed to get the job done; form follows function.*  I even know the guy who built it!**

*I do find the Dynaco brown tube cages to be absolutely hideous!

**Hey, that's me!
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:30 am

My big question is how many of these uber expensive amps get sold in a month. And is it enough to stay in business. Perhaps with 300% markup. Can't imagine a boutique audio store wanting $150,000 of product sitting around for 6-months. But they are amazingly creative and would definite want to take a listen!
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:48 am

Nice!

Maybe years from now our grandchildren can check them out in a vacuum tube museum somewhere. A family member will chime in "you know, you had a crazy grandfather that was into tubes like those, and I think his junk is still in the attic" And the beat goes on....
    Ernstmach
    Ernstmach

Post by Ernstmach Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for the link Bob.
    While those were nice I have seen others that I thought were more works of art..
    I like seeing gear that has a lot of style, not that I'm going out to buy it. I can appreciate the
    effort though..
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:42 am

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art .. 01-siegfried-ii-angled-view

Art is very subjective.  One can either like and appreciate something or not.  That said I've seen PC cases with more character than this.

10 tube amplifiers that are essentially works of art .. Orthos-xs-right

Now THESE are sexy as hell!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:28 am

they would only need to sell one a month to stay in business, since the cost is only maybe 20% of the retail price!
    It's the 90-10 rule again, or in this case, more like 95-5 rule. You'll get 95% of the sound for 5% of the price with a VTA amp!!
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 am

tubes4hifi wrote:they would only need to sell one a month to stay in business, since the cost is only maybe 20% of the retail price!
    It's the 90-10 rule again, or in this case, more like 95-5 rule.   You'll get 95% of the sound for 5% of the price with a VTA amp!!
    You get 125% of the sound at 5 % of the price with a VTA.

Don't think higher price automatically means a better product!
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:42 am

This is worth repeating.
    My postal worker has the McIntosh 275...paid $6-$6500.. Listened to my Bob Latino m125's and was much impressed to the point he commented about selling the 275, picking up the 125's and still have money in his pocket.
    He also stated that HE did not notice any variable sound difference in quality or performance when comparing the m125's withd the McIntosh 275.

Those comments made my day then and still do today!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 am

tubes4hifi wrote:they would only need to sell one a month to stay in business, since the cost is only maybe 20% of the retail price!
    It's the 90-10 rule again, or in this case, more like 95-5 rule.   You'll get 95% of the sound for 5% of the price with a VTA amp!!
    If I want art I'll go back to the Impressionists Exhibit the Louvre has on the docks at the Musee D'Orsay: http://www.impressionniste.net/museums_exhibitions.htm
    When I thought nobody was looking, I reached out and touched a Tolouse Lautrec. It was a rush.
    5 Euros and you're in all day. Go early and there's no wait.
    However, if I want good sound I'm stayin' right here, where music is the art. Beats the cost of an 18-hour ride on Air France, even in coach.

Last edited by deepee99 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extraneous ranting)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 pm