The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
Peter W.
mark four
Maintarget
Bob Latino
sKiZo
mattg
colin86325
peterh
12 posters

Vintage Dynaco Clinic

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Vintage Dynaco Clinic Empty Vintage Dynaco Clinic

Post by Peter W. Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 am

All:

I have been noticing a steady stream of vintage Dynaco questions across the Forum. All the questions good, and some with quite obvious answers to old-hands, not so obvious to those new to the hobby.

I have been working with and around Dynaco products for over 40 years now, tube and solid-state back to the 1970s. I am also fairly seriously into the vintage radio/audio hobby with my oldest (working) example from the 1920s. So I have accumulated a good range of tools and equipment for servicing these beasts.

If there was sufficient interest, I would be willing to give a basic clinic on the care, feeding, diagnosis, servicing and repairing of vintage Dynaco (and contemporary) equipment at my house in Melrose Park (19027) PA. I will be able to test and match output tubes, if needed and I keep a good VOM, LCR and ESR meter as well as a transistor reader for the later equipment. I would be able to demonstrate the basic equipment needed for those who wish to learn such things along with sources and options.

I estimate that such a session would take about an hour to go over the tutorial parts, then whatever time to go over any specific questions and/or check any equipment brought in. Up to 4-5 hours in all. And if I were aware of specific issues in advance, I might be able to prepare for them as well.

There would be no costs or charges from my end.

Fair warning: There are two dogs and two cats in the house - those with allergies be warned. I could accommodate up to seven (7) people comfortably with sufficient space for equipment and necessary ancillary equipment (speakers, signal source, and such) as needed. I would target a Saturday or Sunday in late October/early November.

And if this works, I may be able to do it more than once - and perhaps others here so-inclined may be willing to make similar offers?

Please let me know, either by general comments here, or by PM.
    peterh
    peterh

Vintage Dynaco Clinic Empty Re: Vintage Dynaco Clinic

Post by peterh Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 am

A generous suggestion ! For those within a days distance it would be a nice trip.
    colin86325

Post by colin86325 Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am

Wow, super generous of you! I'd absolutely be interested and I'm in Glen Mills (19342), so not too far from you. Late October/November would work fine for me!
    mattg

Post by mattg Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:33 pm

I'd be interested as well. I'm in the DC area and would happily drive up for something like this - this is very gracious of you.

...as I am currently have a bit of a row with with my VTA-120. One channel of the amp has a bit of distortion and has a noticeable less output level and I am but a mere novice. I put the kit together myself (honestly the underside is a medusa) and it has sounded great for a few years, but now I have this issue and I'm reluctant to fire it up and stick my hands in it. BOOM!

I have a very odd yet dynamic schedule so please keep me/us posted on this. Thanks again! also - first post in the forum.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Wouldn't be able to attend myself (try to hold down the applause thankewverymuch!) but it'd be neat if someone could capture this for YouTube ...
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 pm

mattg wrote: my VTA-120.  One channel of the amp has a bit of distortion and has a noticeable less output level and I am but a mere novice.

Try changing out the center driver tube and/or the driver tube on the side with the distortion. Most of the time a weak output on one channel is a weak driver tube. On the VTA ST-120, the CENTER driver tube affects BOTH channels. The left driver tube only affects the left channel and the right driver tube only affects the right channel. I would buy ONE driver tube - older ST-120 amps pre April of 2012 use 12AT7 driver tubes. All the VTA ST-120's from April of 2012 to now use 12AU7 type driver tubes.

Bob
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:34 pm

sKiZo wrote:Wouldn't be able to attend myself (try to hold down the applause thankewverymuch!) but it'd be neat if someone could capture this for YouTube ...

Great idea. PeterW, are you able to do this?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:48 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    sKiZo wrote:Wouldn't be able to attend myself (try to hold down the applause thankewverymuch!) but it'd be neat if someone could capture this for YouTube ...

Great idea. PeterW, are you able to do this?

Able, perhaps. The issue is that I will be focusing on the attendees, the work and emphatically not on whether my best side is to the camera or not. Should an attendee wish to capture the events, they may do so, and I will neither expect nor require approval of the published (if done) product. In any case, I am up to four at this moment, a quorum in any case. I will give it another few days, then put out possible dates and solicit whether equipment may be coming as well - and what might be needed beyond the basics.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Great idea Very generous indeed Peter W. thank you!
    Unfortunately being on the West Coast makes this cost prohibitive for me.
    I would like to see someone with the knowledge and skill write a book with the history, models, theory, trouble shooting tips, modifications & Upgrades photos be worth the money to me.
    I think this would be most helpful and help the Dynaco following no matter their skill set.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:14 pm

The first date I have to offer to any interested would be Sunday, October 29, 2017. I am willing to start at any time after 9:00 am, ending at some time before 4:00 pm so as to maintain sanity in the household. As things draw closer, I will prepare a brief agenda of things I find important - any and all of which may change depending on the needs of attendees. If this date does not work, the next will be in November. Also if Sundays do not work, please let me know. Sundays happen to be the only days when I know work will not intrude (I am working 12 hours on the 28th and 30th for example).
    mark four
    mark four

Vintage Dynaco Clinic Empty dynaco clinic

Post by mark four Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:52 pm

sound interesting . i am also in philadelphia and would be interested in attending . i have mostly dynaco amps and am very happy with them . let me know . thanks , mark four What a Face
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:32 pm

All:

I am looking at Sunday, October 29, 2017 as the target date for this clinic. The location would be my house in Melrose Park, PA just north of the Philadelphia City Limits. Tentative start time would be 10:00 am, and programmed end-time would be +/- 3:00 pm. I will provide very basic snacks, and soft drinks + tea/coffee. There is good local take-out pizza available as well as other options for lunch. I will have basic instruments, two metered iso-variacs, soldering tools and basic hand-tools available for use.

Alternative dates would hover around the second weekend in November.
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks Peter
    I would like to make that date
    I will be babysitting my granddaughters Thursday thru Saturday so for now I am in. I will go be you a definite soon since I just seen this post...
    Again THANKS,
    Frankly
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Wish I could be there but I'll be in Iceland.
    Somebody who attends, please film this and post the MP3 or whatever on the Forum for our erudition.
    PeterW is a font of knowledge on this forum. We have also done private business from the Left Coast with him and in addition to being a smart guy, he also has a sense of honour.
    colin86325

Post by colin86325 Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Dang. I have a prior commitment on that date. If you are going to holding a version 2.0 clinic ~the second weekend in November I will definitely be able to come.

Thanks!
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 am

PW...I will be unable to make that date.
    My apologies.
    blue
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:35 am

OK - Assembled Multitude:

Give me dates in November that are not 11/4-5 and/or Thanksgiving weekend. Saturdays or Sundays. I will adapt to them for greatest access.

Thanks in advance!
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm

No..Thank you!
    Zenarrow

Post by Zenarrow Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Wow, first post here, but what a great offer. If I didn't live in Wyoming I would take you up on that. Hence why I signed up, my head is swimming with pros and cons of doing a PAS mod or removing tone controls. thumbs up from me mate, a true gem.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 am

Update: I have to work this weekend. Next weekend is dedicated to family events. What is the consensus on November 11/12?
    colin86325

Post by colin86325 Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:35 am

I think I can do that. The 11th might be best for me.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Sorry, but not this weekend. I am somewhat immobilized for the next few days - of all things, heel spurs - actually a spur right where the Achilles Tendon attaches to the heel. So, immobilization and ice + cortisone for the next 72 hours or so.

Not so much painful as exceedingly annoying.

Apologies, again.
    colin86325

Post by colin86325 Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Ouch! Rest up and I hope you are mobile soon!
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 am

Hope your feeling better Peter.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:06 am

Yeah, Peter, get well.

Sponsored content