The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
deepee99
Bob Latino
cci1492
peterh
8 posters

M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ?

peterh
    peterh

M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ? Empty M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ?

Post by peterh Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:11 pm

I have been studying Dynaco MkVI for a while.
    I find the similarities between M-125 and MkVI.

Came to think that a repackaged M-125 to some similar as MkVI with
    19' box, a meter on front used for power display and bias adjustment tool
    might be "the Hot Item for year 2020. I have seen threads where people want
    output meters, i have seen threads where people wants "Big" chassies .

Is this idea a good idea ?

cci1492
    cci1492

M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ? Empty Re: M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ?

Post by cci1492 Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:51 pm

Good ideas, but my guess is if it doesn't improve the sound, don't look for VTA to make any changes.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ? Empty Re: M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ?

Post by Bob Latino Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:52 pm

The VTA M-125's are no clone of the Dynaco Mark VI. To see the differences between the two amps, check out this 2015 forum link below ..

Comparing the Dynaco Mark VI amps to the VTA M-125 amps

Bob
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm

peterh wrote:I have been studying Dynaco MkVI for a while.
    I find the similarities between M-125 and MkVI.

Came to think that a repackaged M-125 to some similar as MkVI with
    19' box, a meter on front used for power display and bias adjustment tool
    might be "the Hot Item for year 2020. I have seen threads where people want
    output meters, i have seen threads where people wants "Big" chassies .

Is this idea a good idea ?

Peter,

Adding a larger chassis and a power display meter would add nothing to the sound of the amp but would add to the cost of these amps. Yes - the amps would look "cooler" but I question how many people would want to pay the extra money? Lets just take the chassis and increase the size from 10 X 12 inches to 12 X 14 inches. That is an increase in size of about 23% not only on the chassis but also the bottom cover. Stainless steel is not cheap. An output meter > not worth it .. The meter may have some visual appeal but adds nothing to the sound . A 10 inch X 12 inch chassis keeps the output tubes apart by about 3 1/2 inches laterally and about 2 3/4 inches apart from front to back. This is apart enough so that the M-125 amp temperatures are pretty normal.

Bob

Post by Guest Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 am

I think we can all have our cake and eat it, too. I believe it imperative that the VTA brand should remain standing for high quality at low price - nothing essential needs be added or improved upon.
    There are several VTA-based amplifiers that perform just like the originals as good (or even, with some serious investment in output transformers) a tad better than the original. And with these, one has the choice of a range of vU meters, exotic wood cabinet, LED lights or meters to reveal a certain bias voltage range. But every addition to a VTA comes at a price.
    Bob is not building and selling something for the tube-snobs, either. Let ARC, McIntosh or some other hifalutin outfits cater to the rich "audiophiles." The VTA business model is simple: build an amp that a workin' stiff like me can can afford without any compromise in sound. We've got to have that basic no-frills-attached box that can run head-to-head with the best.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:36 am

If you'd like to improve the aesthetics of your system, just add one of these...

M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ? JU9jy20
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 pm

My thoughts exactly.
    Ernstmach
    Ernstmach

Post by Ernstmach Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:55 pm

I would think that anyone building one of the kits could make changes to make it their own. Some nice examples here on the forum.
    If they are unsure of their layout plenty of people here to offer suggestions.

Plenty of places online that can provide materials and machine work if the builder needs that.. Maybe offer the kits sans chassis.

Dave_in_Va wrote:If you'd like to improve the aesthetics of your system, just add one of these...

M125 repackages as A Dynaco MkVI clone ? IMG-3104

So I did.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm

I have no problem with m-125 per se. It's a good instance of "classical Dynaco gear".
    My suggestion was to make a new amp that could attract other groups, increase the market so to speak. Think AR, think BIG
    An amp in 19' format lends itself to rack mounting, or mounting in a cabinet, it also
    makes it easy to have lots of amps. One might also add the "impression factor" where blinking lights and moving instruments is displayed. You will find people will to pay for this.

Personally i do not care about look or gadgets, i listen to the results, the amp is stuffed away close to the ceiling.

As for example of users :
    I had a friend that used 6 MkIII and had to build shelf's in a "closet" ( i think closet is small area
    100x100cm used for hanging clothes correct me if i'm wrong.)Later 3 AR D-75 was used as they could be screwed down to prevent them from falling. Even later he made his own amps.

Myself had a AR D-76 for several years, not for any other reason then it was mechanically quiet.
    This was replaced by an sca-35, and later by a VTA-70 which is my current poweramp.

Again, i fancy M-125 VTA-70 and the others, the "classical Dynaco style" that Bob has taken further, thanks Bob (and others) for keeping the tradition alive.
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:45 am

And what does your Fluke meter report?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:03 pm

and . . . as always, most VTA products are DIY so you can build them up anyway you like, with whatever changes you want!
    So buy the kit, put it into a different chassis, add meters or whatever. I'm sure everyone has seen sKiZos VTA120.
    I've helped hundreds of customers do CUSTOM builds.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:50 pm

LeGrace wrote:And what does your Fluke meter report?
    It reports the actual bias of each tube. Not a flinch from 0.46 since the board was installed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 pm