The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Hi/Lo phono inputs on old int. tube amp (Harmon Kardon)

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Hi/Lo phono inputs on old int. tube amp (Harmon Kardon) Empty Hi/Lo phono inputs on old int. tube amp (Harmon Kardon)

Post by Dave_in_Va Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi,
    I have a Harmon Kardon A 300 (4 X 6V6) integrated amp. Probably from about 1962.
    Input one is marked for Phono Lo/Tape Lo. Input two is marked for Phono Hi. I know that back in the day you might have either a magnetic or ceramic cartridge so I assume that's what the inputs are for (I think....these are pretty old memories I'm dredging up).

So would Phono Lo/Tape Lo be okay to use for the output of a reel to reel tape deck (Teac 3340S)?

I'm already using the Aux and Tuner inputs.

Thanks in advance.
    peterh
    peterh

Hi/Lo phono inputs on old int. tube amp (Harmon Kardon) Empty Re: Hi/Lo phono inputs on old int. tube amp (Harmon Kardon)

Post by peterh Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:Hi,
    I have a Harmon Kardon A 300 (4 X 6V6) integrated amp. Probably from about 1962.
    Input one is marked for Phono Lo/Tape Lo. Input two is marked for Phono Hi. I know that back in the day you might have either a magnetic or ceramic cartridge so I assume that's what the inputs are for (I think....these are pretty old memories I'm dredging up).

So would Phono Lo/Tape Lo be okay to use for the output of a reel to reel tape deck (Teac 3340S)?

I'm already using the Aux and Tuner inputs.

Thanks in advance.
    My guess is that the "Phono Lo/Tape Lo" is intended for connecting a tape head. A
    reel tape deck of any recent make will output 600mV to 1Volt and should be
    connected in a high level input.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Hi/Lo phono inputs on old int. tube amp (Harmon Kardon) Empty Re: Hi/Lo phono inputs on old int. tube amp (Harmon Kardon)

Post by Dave_in_Va Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Peter I just looked at the manual and it says:

Input sensitivity:
    Phono Lo 3.0 mv
    Tape Head 2.0 mv
    Phono Hi 125 mv
    Tuner 125 mv
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:Peter I just looked at the manual and it says:

Input sensitivity:
    Phono Lo   3.0 mv
    Tape Head   2.0 mv
    Phono Hi   125 mv
    Tuner   125 mv

Try tuner and see if it overloads. While you are "at it" then test phono hi and
    notice if it sounds different then "tuner"
    You won't break anything by trying !
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks Peter.
    I found a 4 in - 1 out RCA switch box on Amazon for $13.00(!). I'll just plug in the reel to reel, the laser disc player and the VCR into the box and run it all into the Aux. input of the HK.
    This, by the way, is a secondary system. Probably turned on twice a year. I may use it more often though once the Teac arrives in the mail this week.
    Thanks for your help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:32 am