The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300?

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300? Empty Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300?

Post by Dave_in_Va Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Kinda off topic but the HK is an old tube amp and I know you guys/gals have plenty of opinions on speakers.

I have the HK for sale here but really no interest so I thought I might set it up in my back room (where the work bench resides). My plan would be to put up couple of shelves for the speakers (so the speakers would be close to the wall) and hook up the HK with a CD player.

So the speakers would have to be fairly small and really efficient as the HK puts out about 12 watts per channel (it runs four 6V6GT power tubes).

Probably don't want to spend more than $200 - $300 as I already blew my speaker allowance on the Tylers in the living room. Used is good.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Dogstar

Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300? Empty Re: Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300?

Post by Dogstar Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:48 pm

How about building some speakers from a kit? Parts Express sells some really decent speaker kits in the price range you specified. They also sell complete speakers also in that price range. They are not going to be the best looking but....
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300? Empty Re: Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300?

Post by Dave_in_Va Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Not going to build be building speakers. Thanks though.

This doesn't have to be state of the art stuff. I've got a nice system 15 feet away.

Some older used book shelf speakers?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:52 am

Look for an AR Athena sub-sat system. The satellites are compact and designed for hanging, the sub is not objectionably large and may reside "under something". I am running a set with an ST35, doing quite nicely, so I am pretty sure your HK will do so as well. They come up every so often and usually well within your budget.

http://www.audioreview.it/wp-content/uploads/prove/storiche/ar-athena.html/AR-Athena-apertura.jpg
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

Not efficient by a mile   but for nearfield use it would not matter so much - I myself have enjoyed a recent purchase of a pair of Kef Q100 speakers immensly on a low power amp for nearfield use ( pc )    Front firing bass port and in my experience does not mind sitting right up to a wall at all.. Lovely in the vocal range, and for its size respectful amount of low end.Speakers for the Harmon Kardon A300? 94340810
    Fairly diminutive in stature so should fit on a shelf easily.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks Peter.
    There's no place to put a sub. I was thinking of something along the lines of old AR, KLH or even a Dynaco A25. I just don't know which ones are a smaller size and can be driven with twelve tube watts.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 am

Dave_in_Va wrote:Thanks Peter.
    There's no place to put a sub. I was thinking of something along the lines of old AR, KLH or even a Dynaco A25. I just don't know which ones are a smaller size and can be driven with twelve tube watts.

I snagged a pair of Dynaco A35s at Kutztown last spring ($30), but they are significantly large than the A25s. I have a pair of AR18s that are fairly tiny, and the 4x is also pretty small. Sadly, the 4x is going for nuts prices these days. Any of the above will meet your needs, however. Also some of the smaller ADS speakers will do, if you can find them in good condition. Unless you are into re-doing the surrounds, stick with Dynaco or old-line AR. If you are OK with surround replacement (about 1 hour of careful work and $20), look for an otherwise good pair but with bad surrounds. You will get them cheap. The AR TSW series comes to mind.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:42 pm