The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful!

smoorenc

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! Empty Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful!

Post by smoorenc Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! I have my Rogue tube phono pre-amp and now this ST-120 together is more than I hoped for in sound. I may need to think of the tube pre-amp now to complete the whole musical chain. I had the case and transformer covers powder coated. I would like to find out how to integrate my systems 12v power on/off signal into the ST-120. I made some changes that I wanted that worked out perfectly. I was going to put digital meters in the front bias holes. I even bought a voltage regulator and 2 digital gauges. But I couldn't see how to make it work and not introduce extra noise into the ST-120. I am sure there is a way and some one much smarter than me figured it out. I added LC-1 shielded cable RCA Inputs to the rear and put in a switch to give the ability to choose either the front or the rear. I put the power switch up front. I put nicer speaker out posts and a switch to select either 4 or 8 ohms. I made a double shielded power cable and a ground through a switch to either be grounded or not. The shielding is connected together to the ground on the wall outlet. Inside the case I have the shielded ground on the switch to be connected or not. I cannot notice any difference in sound between grounded or not though. I do like my power cables double shielded still. I installed 2mm posts for checking bias near the Driver Board pots. I installed a switch to control the rectifier delay board for tube or SS rectifiers. I can toggle on the switch between rectifier types without having to go inside. So far I have only used tube rectifiers but have a SS on standby. Whew, if you made it through all of that rambling , I am impressed. Thanks again to Bob for answering my novice questions and others for posting things that they did to their ST-70/ST-120. I am VERY HAPPY with it!!   Thanks Scott Moore

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! VTA%20ST-120%20Amplifier-X3

aguaazul, rustybutt, lead48bean and edman44 like this post

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! Empty Re: Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful!

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:16 am

Really Nice looking amp. Congrats.
    smoorenc

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! Empty couple more pictures of my ST-120

Post by smoorenc Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:36 am

couple more pictures of my ST-120. I am using it for everything front channel related. Even as the fronts from my home theater.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! Amp1-XL

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! Amp2-X2

DavidR, DCL50C6 and edman44 like this post

Rbertalotto

Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful! Empty Re: Thanks for all the suggestions. My St-120 came out sounding and looking beautiful!

Post by Rbertalotto Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:50 pm

Did you take the covers off the transformers to paint them?
    edman44

Post by edman44 Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:47 pm

New here. Just ordered my VTA ST-120 from Bob. Can't wait to get home and start building it one piece at a time. Very nice build there Scott. I like your mods. Well done.
    smoorenc

Post by smoorenc Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:02 am

Rbertalotto wrote:Did you take the covers off the transformers to paint them?

Sorry I just saw this. Yes, I took the covers off and took them and the case to a local powder coat person. The color is called Fireside Copper

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 pm