The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions

Midwestside
    Midwestside

Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions Empty Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions

Post by Midwestside Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:43 pm

I have this 1969/70 Realistic STA 65B that sounds way better than it should.
    My dad had this exact model when i was a kid growing up. I hunted one down later in life and re capped it. I really loved how warm and rich it sounded and now after having tubes i can say that it sounds 'tubey'. I believe it has dual output transformers like a tube design.

I had wondered in the infancy of ss were they still designing amps 'thinking' tube designs?
    Are there other early ss receivers /amps that sounded like tubes?
    I can honestly say that i enjoy listening to this ss unit as much as my tube setup, for the same reasons.

Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions Realis11
    Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions Ratamp10

]Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions Staad10
    daveshel
    daveshel

Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions Empty Re: Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions

Post by daveshel Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Early solid state circuitry was much more tube-like than what was to follow. Take, for example, Dynaco's solid state amplifiers. The transistors were discrete devices wired in typologies not unlike those of tube gear. Most of the US-made equipment of the 60s into the 70s used discrete output devices, and sounded much tubier than what was to follow. In the late 70s, designers learned how to combine individual transistors into integrated circuits. They were cheaper to build and this development pretty much enabled the 'Japanese Invasion' of the late 70s. As competition ramped up, power supplies cheapened, and dynamic range became hard to come by. Eventually everything had the same feature sets because they were all based in the same chips, and everything sounded the same -the same old schlock than made you seek out your father's receiver.

Midwestside likes this post

danmartinic
    danmartinic

Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions Empty Re: Tube / Solid state era design overlap history questions

Post by danmartinic Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:58 am

It's the passive parts

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 am