The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST-120 second choke orientation

bobgroger

ST-120 second choke orientation Empty ST-120 second choke orientation

Post by bobgroger Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:55 pm

Question for Bob.... I don't like the non-symmetry of the second choke mounting. I saw your original ST-125 prototype and was wondering what you think about mirroring the Choke and the SCM module on the left side, and moving the filament center tap bypass caps between V1 and the Quad cap. I know you didn't want to drill holes in the chassis, but I am cool with drilling....

I am painting the transformer bells tonight, will bake them at 125* for an hour then resume assembly. I have the board built and the chassis to the point I need the power transformer.

Bob G.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

ST-120 second choke orientation Empty Re: ST-120 second choke orientation

Post by Bob Latino Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:58 am

bobgroger wrote:Question for Bob.... I don't like the non-symmetry of the second choke mounting. I saw your original ST-125 prototype and was wondering what you think about mirroring the Choke and the SCM module on the left side, and moving the filament center tap bypass caps between V1 and the Quad cap. I know you didn't want to drill holes in the chassis, but I am cool with drilling....

I am painting the transformer bells tonight, will bake them at 125* for an hour then resume assembly. I have the board built and the chassis to the point I need the power transformer.

Bob G.

Bob,

You can probably do what you suggest above. There is also the possibility that if you move things around you could cause some extra hum/noise ?

Bob

Tom Pickett likes this post

bobgroger

Post by bobgroger Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:37 pm

I can't help it. I have been a DIY-er since the original ST-70, always changing something searching for some slight difference. I bought your kit because while I could have collected all the parts over time, and maybe saved a couple bucks, it would most likely end up as just another unfinished project in the closet. Yours is a well researched and priced project that will be playing music this weekend.

Tom Pickett likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:50 pm