The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Static Electricity and ST120 - solved

Rbertalotto

Static Electricity and ST120 - solved  Empty Static Electricity and ST120 - solved

Post by Rbertalotto Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:05 am

Static electricity and my VTA ST120....Last night, after listening for a few hours. Time to go to bed. Walk across the room to turn the system off. When I put the aluminum remote control down on top of the aluminum preamplifier I got a very slight static electricity shock and I lost one channel on the ST120. I shut everything off and turned it back on and all seems well. Is there some type of protection circuit in the amp. I do have the optional relay board......How are you folks dealing with this situation?
    Rbertalotto

Static Electricity and ST120 - solved  Empty Re: Static Electricity and ST120 - solved

Post by Rbertalotto Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:13 pm

Hello......
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Static Electricity and ST120 - solved  Empty Re: Static Electricity and ST120 - solved

Post by Dave_in_Va Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:19 am

I've had that problem also with my VTA ST 70 and static electricity (it's not really an ST 70 problem).
    When I walk across my room to touch the SP 14 pre-amp I touch something else first.

I also just realized that I lose ALOT of static electricity buildup on vinyl by not lowering my dust cover on the turntable when I spin a record.

I also had a problem with what I *think* was a static electricity discharge from the CD player causing very intermittent super quick dropouts. I've almost cured that by connecting a wire from the case of the CD player to the case of my DAC. This is a weird problem and I'm not sure if I fixed it or not.
    Rec

Post by Rec Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:12 pm

Been thinking about this, nothing in the amp would shut down that I can think of... there is no protection, the relay board is startup delay. Static could create a audible level thump which might put one of your upstream units into protection, possible just one channel, maybe even the speaker? Weren’t you using Maggies?
    Rbertalotto

Post by Rbertalotto Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Yes, using Magnapans that have an accessible fuse on the back. It did not blow.

I believe the Schiit Saga preamplifier might have shut down one channel.....But I recently discovered one of the RCA cables from the preamp to the ST120 was bad. The center pin was not soldered properly at the factory. I replaced the cord and I've not had a static issue since. Strange!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:02 pm