The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3

alie80

Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3 Empty Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3

Post by alie80 Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:20 pm

Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3 Img_7110
    Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3 Thumbn10
    Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3 Thumbn11

Hi, I am not familiar with the Dynakit Preamps. The label in the back says PAS2, but someone told me this was a PAS3. I am trying to figure out what I have, because my research, the values are all over the place. It is working.
    Any help would be appreciated on what it is and possible value.

Thank you
    sr549

Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3 Empty Re: Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3

Post by sr549 Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:16 pm

That’s a PAS 3
    sr549

Post by sr549 Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:20 pm

I rebuilt my PAS 3. It’s the best sounding preamp I own. Dynakit Model PAS2 or PAS3 C6debd10
    howlin' hoosier

Post by howlin' hoosier Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:58 pm

The PAS series preamp came with 2 different faceplates: the PAS-2 has a brass colored faceplate, the PAS-3 has a silver faceplate. To take it a little further along, later versions were upgraded to include tone controls that could be set so they were out of the signal path - those PAS preamps were renamed PAS-2X and PAS-3X when released for sale.

Last edited by howlin' hoosier on Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected information)
    billinrio
    billinrio

Post by billinrio Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:11 am

An impressively clean example of this preamp, which must have spent most of its life in a low-humidity environment, (palm trees outside in the pic) without a speck of visible rust.  Apparently factory-wired, since it has the mentioned model ID label. Obviously unmodified, given that it still sports the original and always replaced selenium rectifier (small square green board with the two large red caps). Apparently, since you're concerned with its value, you intend to sell it rather than keep and upgrade it.  The answer is "whatever the market will bear", and for that you'll need to see what comparable units are going for on eBay.  At the minimum you should first do a voltage check, or have one done by a tech.

Last edited by billinrio on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am