The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Soldering Multiple Wires

IntarsiaGuy

Soldering Multiple Wires Empty Soldering Multiple Wires

Post by IntarsiaGuy Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:41 pm

I've found plenty of YouTube content on soldering through-hole components, and the VT-120 driver board is going well (I think). But I would appreciate knowing your approach to soldering multiple wires onto lugs. For the thin lugs I am trying heat one side and apply to the other but my results are very mixed. If there are any tips/tricks I'd appreciate hearing them.
    New2Tubez

Soldering Multiple Wires Empty Re: Soldering Multiple Wires

Post by New2Tubez Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:56 pm

What lugs in particular?  Star ground? (the big ground lug near the quad cap)

You could tin each wire and the lug first and made sure there's room for each and then flow more solder on until it's done. OR, Install all the wires in the lug and apply as much heat as you need to get it well covered.

It's been a couple of years.

more good technique:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvCID72ylM&list=PLAppKXUgbBIsDViNHTo4FBtYsKzpQAXNl&index=1

He has several videos. It gets a little ASMR-ish

Last edited by New2Tubez on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : better example video again.)
    IntarsiaGuy

Post by IntarsiaGuy Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 pm

Thank you for the reply, and thanks for the link. I should have have practiced more of the point to point wiring before starting. All my practicing was through-hole components. The key is where to put the iron - sometimes I just end up burning through solder without depositing any - will get better with more practice.
    Corona

Post by Corona Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 pm

Wrap the wire around/through what you want to solder, always make a mechanical connection.  As for the soldering itself, I like to just tin the iron and then place it on one side of the joint, bridge it to the joint with a little solder, and then feed solder into the other side letting it melt towards the iron.  Note how the solder wants to travel to the heat.  A good solder joint should be nice and shiny, well wetted, and properly connect all the wires to the junction or lug.

New2Tubez and IntarsiaGuy like this post

Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 am

Agree. Learned in E&E shop in 6th grade, iron low, watch the flow. Meaning keep the iron low and the solder high and watch it flow to the heat.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 am