The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

SP9 Preamp Hum - Only w/Phono Tubes

tjplatt

SP9 Preamp Hum - Only w/Phono Tubes Empty SP9 Preamp Hum - Only w/Phono Tubes

Post by tjplatt Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:32 pm

I built an SP9 Tubes4Hifi preamp back in 2013 and it has worked flawlessly until very recently. I started to get a hum and decided I was overdue to replace all the preamp tubes. It sounds great again, as long as I don't put tubes in the phono preamp board. I figured my new 12AY7 phono tubes must have been bad and ordered a new set, same issue.

I am wondering if the transformer is going bad but isn't noticeable until the added gain of phono stage is active? Before I go randomly replacing parts, any thoughts or diagnostics?

-Tyler
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

SP9 Preamp Hum - Only w/Phono Tubes Empty Re: SP9 Preamp Hum - Only w/Phono Tubes

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:04 pm

a couple of possibilities, the most likely is that all six tubes are too much of a load for the filament supply, you may need a transformer with higher current capability.
    Or it could just be the power supply to the phono section isn't supplying enough current.
    Or you have noisy tubes. Phono sections have a gain of almost 1millionX before the RIAA EQ is applied resulting in 10000X gain overall.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:45 am