The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

ST-120 tube redplate. Not a bad cathode resistor. what to check?

ChetJettison

ST-120 tube redplate. Not a bad cathode resistor. what to check? Empty ST-120 tube redplate. Not a bad cathode resistor. what to check?

Post by ChetJettison Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:42 am

Last night I noticed the right channel drop on my VTA ST-120. Looked over at the amp and saw the front right Sovtek 6550we redplating.
    Something similar happened once around last year, except that time I found a bad cathode resistor.
    This time all cathode resistors are measuring fine at 10 ohms.
    What else should I check for? What else would cause this? I know it could be a bad tube but it seems really suspicious that it’s the exact same tube location that red plated previously, front right.
    I plan to open it up and look for any loose connections, bad soldering, or what have you. But while I’m in there, is there anything else I can check?
    I’d really love to take steps that prevent this from happening again. Tubes aren’t cheap! I hear stories about amps like this running for decades without incident. How do I get mine to be bulletproof like that?

Here’s a link to my previous post from when a similar thing happened: https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t4888-vta-st-120-power-tube-redplate-bias-reading-25v
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

ST-120 tube redplate. Not a bad cathode resistor. what to check? Empty Re: ST-120 tube redplate. Not a bad cathode resistor. what to check?

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:08 pm

you can swap that tube with another one to see if the problem follows the tube (which is then obviously bad) or if the problem stays with the socket, which then indicates a bad connection somewhere on that socket.
    ChetJettison

ST-120 tube redplate. Not a bad cathode resistor. what to check? Empty Re: ST-120 tube redplate. Not a bad cathode resistor. what to check?

Post by ChetJettison Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:05 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:you can swap that tube with another one to see if the problem follows the tube (which is then obviously bad) or if the problem stays with the socket, which then indicates a bad connection somewhere on that socket.

Good idea. I am trying that now. So far, the amp is working without incident and all bias readings are stable.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:45 pm

ChetJettison wrote:
    tubes4hifi wrote:you can swap that tube with another one to see if the problem follows the tube (which is then obviously bad) or if the problem stays with the socket, which then indicates a bad connection somewhere on that socket.

Good idea. I am trying that now. So far, the amp is working without incident and all bias readings are stable.

A tube that has "redplated" is no longer reliable. Throw it away !
    Get a matched set from another vendor ( one that offers warranty )
    ChetJettison

Post by ChetJettison Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:57 pm

peterh wrote:

I don’t intend on using it long term, I have two sets of quad matched tubes as replacement, but I thought it might be useful for diagnostic purposes as suggested by @tubes4hifi above. Would you agree?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:59 pm

ChetJettison wrote:
    peterh wrote:

I don’t intend on using it long term, I have two sets of quad matched tubes as replacement, but I thought it might be useful for diagnostic purposes as suggested by @tubes4hifi above. Would you agree?

No.
    Install new tubes. The problem is very much a tube problem. Don't risk the amp
    by using marginal tubes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:25 am